Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off work early today to drive down to Lansing, IL b/c my girlfriend had to participate in a wedding rehearsal. I knew I had some to kill so I did some research and found out that Wampum Lake was only a few miles away.

Got to the lake at about 6:40PM. The lake wasn't too busy, but I immediately noticed the insane amount of weeds surrounding the shoreline. I couldn't find any clearing, so I decided to start fishing. See below:

I tried several top water lures and almost gave up. I decided to toss a senko beyond the weedline. It was going to have to be a pretty decent cast in order to make it out that far. My first cast got me several feet beyond the weeds into the clear open water. I let a few feet out to let it sink. As I put my reel in gear, my slack line went tight (don't you love that! :p ). I knew I had a taker so I swung and set the hook. I felt a jolt, but shortly thereafter felt the fish getting stuck in the weed. Thank God for my PowerPro braided line. I short pumped the fish and eased the guy in. At one point, I had to put the reel in free spool to see if he would free himself. It worked and I was able to horse him toward shore. As he got closer I was stoked to see the size. I quickly bounced him to shore and the following are the pictures.

The fish was gently released back into the water. I tossed another senko and was bit again, but this one was way smaller. I quickly ran out of time and had to attend the rehearsal dinner. The key was getting the lure past the weedline.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toothdoc, the model of my reel is the President. It has 10 ball bearings and approximately a 6:1 ratio. I love the reel.

islandfisher, the bass measured approximately 18 inches. Any guess on the weight? I didn't have a scale with me, but it sure felt heavy. I'm guessing around 3lbs?

basser 913, I used a black colored senko.

I went back this morning to the same spot b/c we stayed over last night after the wedding. I got a few bites, but no takers. I fished b/w 6AM and 8:30AM.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The President is a great reel. I picked up the Trion only because it was on sale at Dick's last year for almost 50% off. It is a good reel, but I would rather have had the President. I have a President spinning reel that I love.

As far as how much the bass weighed, if it was about 18" that would put it somewhere around 3.5 to 4 pounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.