Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while since any of you has heard a peep from me, but I am still alive and kicking. Work, a recent condo move, and an overseas vacation has kept me fairly busy lately. Anyway, I wanted to post the following fishing report:

The boss (wife) and I attended a friend's wedding in Auckland, New Zealand where we spent 10 days after that touring the entire North Island. It was their summer time, so we took one opportunity to fish a local river (Wanganui River) for rainbow & brown trout w/ the guide of a local fly fisherman. I must say, the scenery out there is just amazing and peaceful. Here's a few pics of the river area we fished:

A foto of the boss fishing a spoon downstream:

A pic of me unsuccessfully trying to cast a fly line (p.s. this is my first time fly fishing):

In sum, I was only able to hook onto one 3-4 lb rainbow trout, getting him/her all the way to about 10 feet within reach. Then he/she jumped 3 feet out of the water (for the 4th time during the 5 minute struggle) and finally spit the nymph. We didn't catch anything beyond that and I had the camera in my pocket when I was fighting the single fish, so no pics at all to show for. Despite the lack of fish caught, it was an awesome experience. If anyone ever plans to go there for vacation, I would highly recommend setting aside at least one day to fish a local river.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Looks pretty cool Eric !

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
very nice eric. don't get very many chances to fish waters like that. from the picture you look like a pro casting that fly rod. but pictures can be deceiving. :lol: :wink: :shock:

your boss looks like she's holding her own tho. LOL!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matt, Fly fishing was indeed harder than I had anticipated. I kept trying to whip the line forward like the way we normally cast overhead, but it didn't work at all that way. I couldn't get the lure more than 20/25 feet in front of me, while the guide was putting it 45+ feet out there. I was told to try to move my arm like I'm waving a flag from back to front instead. I definitely didn't pick it up in the 4 hours I spent learning. I'm looking forward to trying it again somewhere in the states sometime, just don't know where to go.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That looks like a nice river, thanks for the report! It had to be great just to get out there.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Looks awesome Eric! I'll bet you has the time of your life, even if only one fish. Great to have ya back, my friend!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fellas. It's good to be back catching up on the WCF scene again. Looking forward to a few of the winter outtings in the next months, but even more so to the upcoming spring season!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts