Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's raining out there right now but it's a drizzle. I also know that with this rain the smallies will turn on along with the walleye. Just wondering if anyone has been by the river with in the last 24 hours to check levels. I want to make it out there this weekend rain or shine and was looking to wade. Is it even approachable. I know the levels have been relatively low leading up to this weekend, just curious on the current conditions considering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went over it twice yesterday morning(in Dayton and Ottawa) it looked a little high and muddy but fishable. But I don't know about today with all the rain we've had in the last couple of days.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input....after today tho....fogetaboutit! Should get the smallies moving and walleye as well. Good thing about high waters is that it pushes all that top water algae on down....I'm sure the kank will be clear once this high water subsides...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
At 8 am Saturday, before heading out, the gauge was reading 7500 cfs. Already too dangerous to be in it and probably not very smart to be on the shore unless you know exactly where the shore is. I drove along about 5 miles of the river and over a few of it's creeks.

Nasty looking water.

I've been known to go fishing when the river is at it's worst and I won't touch this one. Even though I was thinking about it.

They must have installed a new gauge at Montgomery. It now will give readings over 7 or 8 thousand cfs.

Middle of the afternoon on Saturday it was reading 15.000 cfs. I kind of quit thinking about going out after seeing that reading.

I may be a moron, but I'm not stupid.

Still reading 15,000 cfs Sunday morning, but I think it's stuck.

By the time the water gets to Dayton, the river is fed by at least a half dozen creeks. Dayton's gauge is reading 27,000 cfs.

I think it's going to take a few days for all this water to drain out of here.

Waiting for the rain to stop to go get pictures. I hear that just down the street from me the coffer dam built to build the canoe chute on the Yorkville dam got blown out. Never did get pictures a couple of weeks ago like I had planned, but will go get pictures of this. Would have been nice to get before and after pictures.

The residents that fought so hard, lying and giving out misinformation about that dam are about to find out what the river is supposed to look like without it. It's going to take them awhile to plug that hole and in the mean time, the whole river is going to drain through it.

This is going to be good.

Be nice if it blew out a section of the rebuild and they gave up on this stupid project.

They pissed off the river gods and the river gods don't want their river blocked anymore.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Serves em' right=)

Hey Ken which gauge do you follow?

I checked the Algonquin one yesterday at 3:15 pm and it said it was a little above 1200 cfs.

When I went down to actually look at the river it was well above the high water mark and seemingly well above 1200 as well.

I'm wondering if the gauge is whack or if I am reading it wrong as your figures are much higher and seem more accurate based on what I saw when I went down?!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The most reliable USGS site for the Fox has always been the Montgomery site.

http://www.wadauwant.com/wd_journal/vie ... f=34&t=120

I never go by the gauge height. I seem to understand cubic feet per second much better and how that relates to river levels. I know I can walk across the river at 750 cfs and to not bother trying at 1600 cfs.

It's all in what you get used to.

I'll have pictures of Yorkville up on my site some time today. I'll post a link.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking again about getting out on the water this weekend and just wondering how things looked. Still turbid and up or is it doable?

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I went down to the Fox in Batavia yesterday and it still is not wadable. Only stayed for 20 minutes or so, landing one lil guy(12") off some chunk rock next to a seam on a crank bait. I think fluttering some plastics on the current seams would have produced better. I might give wading a shot this weekend and stay close to shore in areas I know well. There are a few large boulders by Island park that hold fish in high water. Heading to creek might be a good bet.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies....yeah that water is still a bit of a mess. Dang!

Maybe next weekend. I would think by then with the forecast things should be better. JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.