Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was jogging on Sunday around Skokie Lagoons area and in same time looking for places to fish.
I was very surprised to see a gentleman taking home a Largemouth Bass (15"-17") and huge Walleye (25" - 27") He was fishing the dam north of Tower Rd. He sad that both fish were caught on nigh night crawler. Well ...again I am new to this web site and Chicago area so here is few questions I have:

1. In my opinion water quality there looks very poor, so is it safe to eat fish from there?
2. Is it common to see walleye this size in lagoons ?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
1. No. It is a nice place to fish for sport, but not for eating.

2. On occasion. I have seen a few nice ones. I have never caught a walleye from there myself, but have caught many nice bass. If you have a canoe, kayak, or small boat that is the best way to travel the lagoons.

·
Registered
593 Posts
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/f ... sories.pdf

No current advisories for Skokie Lagoons.
BUT.. I would pass and walk to Lake Michigan to catch & eat the perch..

There are no advisories for the pond in my neighborhood..
But i still would not eat the bass.
Sometimes runoff of chemicals needs to be seen and not have gov't telling us...

I'm just saying if I was fishing to eat my catch, I'd try another spot.
:D

But its still a great spot to fish!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Personally I wouldn't eat anything that comes out of any of the lakes in the area other than LM, but that is me. Unfortunately there are a number of people that take home whatever they catch.

That walleye sounds much bigger than normal size for there.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
25"-27" is a helluva a walleye and they are certainly in the Skokie Lagoons. Perhaps not common, but 27" is a great fish anywhere in the area.

As for water quality, it's not as bad as it looks. Like the above post states, there are no advisories, but all the forest preserve lakes are best for catch & release. Lake Michigan or the Fox Chain O Lakes are more known for fish consumption.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been fishing the lagoons for years and would NEVER consider consuming anything other than the beers I bring down there from time to time. If you have ever fished near the dam or in the river below the dam, the odor alone from the water would discourage anyone from eating their catch. Incidently, not long ago, I came upon a guy with a bucket along the shore who was hoarding as many bluegills as possible and had the bucket completely filled. I asked him why he was taking so many fish and what he planned on doing with them. His response was that he brings them to his family's restaurant. Now whether he is serving these fish to patrons or what is anybody's guess. Makes you think twice
about dining in some of these establishments doesn't it? As for the Walleye, they are growing and showing up more and more all the time. My brother recently landed 3 Walleyes on a jig while fishing for Crappies. The largest measured 20" and the other 2 were 15". I foresee the Walleye fishing only getting better. Let's release these fish and like the others said, try the big lake or the chain for the table!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.