Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you were wondering what you've been getting snagged on all these years.

A World War II aircraft was lifted Friday from the bottom of Lake Michigan. The plane was discovered in water near north suburban Waukegan. Retired Captain Ed Ellis is a spokesperson for the National Aviation Museum. Ellis says Joseph Lokites was the pilot of the SBD Dauntless dive bomber, a training plane.

ELLIS: He apparently made a mistake on switching the fuel tanks on the aircraft and switched to an empty tank and his engine stopped and he went in the water. And so they rescued him and the airplane sank. And this is the first time it's seen the light of day since November of '44.

Ellis says the right wing is damaged and the engine is rusted. He says the aircraft will take about two years to restore. It will then go on display at a museum in New Orleans.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yea, I read about it this morning. That's pretty cool! I wonder how they pulled it off the bottom tho. I don't think a Diver can go down to 300 FOW without his or her lungs exploding. Supposebly it was in 300+ FOW 27 miles out from waukegan. :shock:

Heres a little youtube clip I found on it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The report I took it was from Chicago Public Radio, but the picture was from a different radio station's website, not sure which one found it through google.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I worked with a guy who's brother-in-law recoverd planes from LM, I wonder if he was involved with that one. I think he said they actually recover a couple each year, mostly older war aircraft like that, pretty cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.