Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WCTT 2009 Round #3 June 27th @ Deep Lake RESULTS

Weather was cloudy in the AM 70's(nice) ZERO wind....morning bite was good but the afternoon bite proved to be even better. The wind picked up a bit and the sun came out and it was 85 and Sun Burn City!!!!!....but for some the bite improved :|

Then the DNR showed up(very cool guy.. just check if you had a vaild fishing licence :roll: if you did he was on his way....I don't think we got any tickets :mrgreen:)

16 total came out. We caught 44 keepers in total.

Except for the water being Very, Very Warm , Sun Burn and the DNR...it was a good day with a good WCTT turn out........

Nice Job ClanncyWiggum(Matt) for putting a huge "afternoon" bite on with the famed Japan Bait. I think he got 0 in the AM and made a change then produced a truck load in the afternoon...hard thing to do on this day. Congratz to Bgbass29(Alex) for a whopper 4.3 (also in the afternoon I think)

Well done guys.

1st ClanncyWiggum(Matt) , 11.9
2nd Bgbass29(Alex), 9.12 including Big Bass (4.3)
(Wait the 2 guys that fished SOLO finished 1 , 2...hmmmmm)
3rd #1cubsfan(Tony) , 8.9

Jaypee the HHF(JayPee) , 7.3
traderSteve(Steve), 7.2
Mplant(Mike) , 6.7
Rootpro6(Keith), 5.8
Basscaster(Mike), 4.2
plumberpower1(Don) , 3.12
Fishthoughts(Sox Fan) , 3.9
Charlie , 2.13
Afalconsvick, 1.2

---------- Da Skunk Club------

Augy
BassProMatuk(Mike)
Big Rick(Rick)
SvSlider(John)

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Fun day, at least I didn't get skunked. I caught my "beastly" 1lb 4oz fish in the first 45 minutes then nothing. I was fishing with Mike (BASSPROMATUK) and he threw EVERYTHING out there and couldn't get any keepers except the 2 dinks. No matter what we couldn't get a bite but oh well. At lest we got tans, or sunburn. :| Seems like everyone was getting some hogs so we have to figure out the secret. :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I tried running from teh dnr because I didnt have a fire extinguisher. They chased me down across the lake while I played dumb and didnt look backwards. They caught up with me and pulled me over and I got warnings- everyone make sure you bring a horn or whistle and a fire extinguisher.
I got a complete skunk in the tourney but stayed after, I got a fish in 2 casts after the tourney was over. around 3pm there was like 3 boats around me and they were all landing fish. Thats when I noticed my sunburn and left:oops:
Note- make sure my motor is bigger before I try running :) The dnr had a 60 horse in a 16 footer or so.
And I was running to get a fire extinguisher and whistle from jack, not to get away :D Jack didnt have whistles and the extinguisher costs 1 dollar.

·
Registered
428 Posts
had a great time today with all the guys. Had the big fish off the day until alex uncrowned me in the second weigh in with that pig weighing in at 4#3oz. I give congrats. My partner Big Rick threw until his arm came off but he helped me get my fish in with out him i might of lost em. Caught a total of 10 fish with only one that qualified. what a freakin day got one heck of a sunburn and the sox beat the cubs great day great day!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nice job out there guy's! How'd the weeds look? Any crazy pleasure boaters out there? Way to go Matt and Alex!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
hey all,

i had a great time again in the tournament. i would've loved to hung around for a few brews afterwards but i was barely awake. 4 hours of sleep over the span of 2 nights, then spending a day getting just BAKED (sun burnt) in the sun really did me in. i got home and passed out!

tradersteve, i hope you made it out alright.

powerplumber and steve, i have pics of both of you. i am having trouble though uploading them into my photobucket account, but i will get them in this thread once i am able to. if you cant wait, and want to have your pics, shoot me a pm with your email addys and ill send you the pics.

the dnr was cool too. good to see them out. sure glad i brought the battery cover and whistle. they checked my boat for all of that fun stuff!

see ya'll next time out. this time i'll bring sunscreen! i have an awesome farmer's tan and a true red neck!

mike

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah Tony, sometimes you just run into a buzzsaw... I don't understand why there was no topwater bite though... Shad were performing circus acts in he SE corner of the lake where we started and other than your fish, they weren't chasing anything we threw at 'em... Oh well, you win some, you lose some...

BPM

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
BASSPROMATUK said:
Yeah Tony, sometimes you just run into a buzzsaw... I don't understand why there was no topwater bite though... Shad were performing circus acts in he SE corner of the lake where we started and other than your fish, they weren't chasing anything we threw at 'em... Oh well, you win some, you lose some...
BPM
Yeah, oh well. You'll get em' next time. I'll blame the boat. The fish didn't like our boat.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It was a good tournament overall. The morning was just plain bad for me. I caught 3 fish early and the only keeper was just barely 14". Then no bites for the next 3 hours or so. There was no wind either so the sun/heat was pretty intense. I really considered calling it quits at the first weigh-in. Glad I didn't though. Once the wind started up the fishing got much, much, much better. Ended up bringing 9 keepers to the scales at the second weigh-in. I knew they wouldn't all count, but many of them were in the 15-16" range so I didn't know what they would all weigh so I brought them all. Thankfully I had 2 stringers with me and I pretty much filled them both. After two and a half years of giving my money away at tournaments I finally won one and it has renewed my hopes.

I think the reason that the two fishing solo came in 1 and 2 is because there wasn't another person in the boat to potentially take fish from a spot. So we had all of this fish to ourselves. I might need to fish solo more often. Then again it is nice to talk to someone else every now and then.

Great tournament though. A really nice turnout. The pleasure boaters became a pain later in the morning, but nothing you can do about that. The DNR was out, but they were pleasant. They weren't out for blood this day. They even checked my stringer, which at that time had 2 fish on it. I would have been screwed if they came later when I had 9 fish. Congrats to all the winners and I look forward to the next tournament! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
congrats matt and alex! you just never know what deep lake can produce...that's why we keep at it and fish until the last minute. it was an absolutely gorgeous day to be out fishing. Too bad I couldn't bring any to the boat. 3 dinks and lost 7 or 8 including an absolute pig after 3 runs on 4# line. 3rd run he broke off!! argh!! one of those days. oh wait, i have lots of "one of those days". lol

matt, you can only keep 5 fish in your livewell/stringer at any time per dnr regs. you need to cull. but thats a good problem! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
BigRick said:
Despite getting the skunk, I had a great time on Saturday. Very cool to finally meet some of you guys, although I felt like I knew a lot of you already since I spend so much time reading your posts here on the site.

The highlight of my day was helping Don land his 3 lb. 12 oz. fish about an hour before first weigh in. Definitely got us amped up after getting nothing but shorts all morning prior. Steve and Charlie were fishing a couple hundred yards away and they probably thought for a minute that Iaconelli was on the water with all the screaming and high-fiving that was going on. Got to witness the entire fight with the fish since Don hooked her in the shallows near the honeycomb of bluegill beds on the north shore. Really thought that fish had a good chance to hold up for big fish but then Alex trumped Don with his 4 lb. 3 oz. hawg at the afternoon weigh.

Low point for me was losing a Spro on the north end in the afternoon. Had a blowup retrieving the frog slowly over the tops of the pads and pulled it right out of her mouth. Guess I haven't frogged enough to have learned the discipline to wait to set the hook. Anyway, didn't check my tie before my next cast and as I tried to throw to the same spot my Spro went flying. Gone.

So congrats to the top three and we'll see all of you out there next time.
Haha same thing happend to me. I retied a spinner and I guess it wasn't good and it went flying. Best four dollars I ever spent. :evil: . Was it you guys next to me and mike when one of you guys had whatever you were using stuck in the tree, WAY up in the tree?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Afalconsvick said:
Was it you guys next to me and mike when one of you guys had whatever you were using stuck in the tree, WAY up in the tree?
I once tossed a spro into a dead standing tree at deep and i ripped the whole tree down with my heavy braid. ask jaypee he was there. but i'm not telling where that was... new structure and my secret bass spot!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
mplant1 said:
I once tossed a spro into a dead standing tree at deep and i ripped the whole tree down with my heavy braid. ask jaypee he was there. but i'm not telling where that was... new structure and my secret bass spot!
timmmmmmmberrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
bite was tough!

I had a great time! per usual.

dude a 50 year old frog in the tree...I was right around that bend...and rowing...I prolly could have jumped out...but i think i would have had to climb that dead tree...it was way up there....but a vintage frog from your grandfather...thats a tough one to lose. :(

-JayPee the HHF is the Thriller!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Augy said:
matt, you can only keep 5 fish in your livewell/stringer at any time per dnr regs. you need to cull. but thats a good problem! :mrgreen:
That's good information to know. Next time I will make sure to cull. I need to get those different colored things for culling. Well, maybe not. I have a feeling I won't have many days like this. :roll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.