Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does everyone feel about rigging plastics weedless? Is it worth doing all the time? Do you have to try and set the hook that much harder? Lose more fish while doing it? I'm going to do more weedless rigging this year. Hoping it helps. Just curious about everyone's experience with it.

Also, when using a drop shot rig, how long of a leader do you use between your sinker and hook?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I almost exclusively rig weedless if I need to or not .
Theres really not much difference in setting the hook ,maybe just a bit harder and easy to get used to :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Most of us bass fishermen set the hook so hard that the little bit of plastic does not not impede the hook at all. Like Culprit, I always go weedless. About the only time I don't is when I am fishing a wacky rig in wide open water.

For dropshot, the distance between the hook and sinker is anywhere between 6" to 2 ft. I usually start around a foot. Experiment to see what the fish want.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Like Culprit and Paul I do it pretty much all of the time. Most people set the hook so hard that a little piece of soft plastic isn't going to stop you from getting a fish.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right on. thanks guys.

I'm a beginner to the bass game. caught maybe a dozen or so last year but wasn't rigging weedless. had a lot of trouble with getting caught up on weeds and stuff on the bottom of the water. This year I plan on targeting bass more and really appreciate the experienced tips!

B

·
Registered
341 Posts
Paul S said:
Most of us bass fishermen set the hook so hard that the little bit of plastic does not not impede the hook at all. Like Culprit, I always go weedless. About the only time I don't is when I am fishing a wacky rig in wide open water.

For dropshot, the distance between the hook and sinker is anywhere between 6" to 2 ft. I usually start around a foot. Experiment to see what the fish want.
I agree with paul and culprit. I fish weedless all the time except when fishing wacky. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
597 Posts
FISHING4LIFE said:
Everytime i try to texas rig my senko it rips lol?
well i have the same problem with the Yamammoto senkos, after a few fish and few texas riggs it brakes. But I always texas rig my plastics, unless im wacky rigging. Occasionally i will get a circle hook and nose hooks a worm for a split shot rig.

·
Registered
825 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
FISHING4LIFE said:
Everytime i try to texas rig my senko it rips lol?
well i have the same problem with the Yamammoto senkos, after a few fish and few texas riggs it brakes. But I always texas rig my plastics, unless im wacky rigging. Occasionally i will get a circle hook and nose hooks a worm for a split shot rig.
You don't get much more than a couple fish on a senko. Many times, it's a one and done sort of deal. Some baits are a little tougher and IMHO they don't work as well.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey-if I can get a fish per senko I won't complain! 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.