Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...

Deep has a lot of weeds this time of year.

How do WindyCityFishing members pass through those weeds with their boats? Does a gas motor make it easier? Do you just use an electric trolling motor? Do you just row when it gets weedy? Or do you push your way through the weeds with a push pole?

I'm also trying to learn more about fishing weeds this year.

Are the north bay weeds at Deep milofoil? They leave that brown/green film on the water. How do you fish that?

The lily pads on the lake are in the northwest and southeast corner. Do you just fish on top with Johnson silver minnows or do you punch through the top with heavy weedless jigs to bottom fish?

There also seem to be lots of coontail weeds scattered in the lake. How do you fish that?

If you know more about weeds at Deep Lake, please add your 2 cents worth.

But how do you "boat" through those weeds and then fish those weeds?

Thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The weeds usually get really bad in the Summer, but that's when the fish go deeper so I don't usually push my way into the weeds anyway. Best bet is fishing the weedline and dropoffs when they get bad or running a topwater over the weeds. The biggest fish I have caught there have all been on weed edges and docks. Not much success in the thickest of weeds.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Sometimes we are forced to go through the weedmats to get to the deeper edge. When using the trolling motor, make sure you are going in a forward gear. Even with the 55lb thrust Min Kotta, if we try to reverse it through the weeds the prop gets fouled and becomes useless until cleared. We still get some weeds on the prop in forward gear, but for the most part the blade is protected.

Last summer I noticed the fish seemed really scattered. Some were up on the banks, some under docks, some cruising the shallow weedflats, some in the thicker stuff, and some off the deeper edge. It really made patterning them hard. One thing I did realize was that 90% of the bass we saw shallow had no interest in anything we offered :p That can be frustrating and suck up the better part of your day if you get stuck window shopping the shallow fish.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
This is going to sound crazy, but Seans prop was a little messed up from hitiing rocks, and was making the motor shake (out of balance).

I didnt have a replacement so I decided to take a sanding block with 80 grit and "refinish" the edges. It doesn't shake anymore, and by making a sharp edge it seems to throw the weeds off better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.