Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So decided to get in another trip in before my wife and i have our first child. This time of year is typically suspect when targeting flats fish. However it turned out to be one of the BEST fishing trips ever. Started out friday not even an hour after i landed we were out on the water. Had trouble finding bait but once we did we headed to our spot and it was game on. We caught numerous snook and ladyfish (on white bait and small chunks of ladyfish).
The next day went further north near Tampa to try our luck there. Once again we got on snook but on the smaller size. We managed a few keeper mangrove snapper (sorry no pix), several slot sea trout, lady fish and a real small goliath grouper. Sunday my brother in law and i decided to head back to the spot we hit on friday using his canoe. Got there a bit early as the tide was not perfect so tooled around a bit. Got back there and another boat beat us to our spot so we set up shop on a sand bar across from them. Immediately they were all over the snook. Massive explosions on the water with schools of snook blasting bait fish as well as the birds diving and occasional osprey diving in as well for a meal. The night time bite was non stop action. Had numerous over slot snooks on a couple which snapped us off and we were using 40# fluoro leaders!
Anyhow here are some pix. enjoy.

A few undersized snook (slot is 28-33" so anything under or over has to go back)

A perfect 32.5" keeper snook (limit 1 per man)

28.5" 30.5" 32.5" Snook

Goliath grouper baby (formerly know as a Jewfish)

A nice 23.5" GATOR trout for the pan

26.5" Redfish (sorry Geo dont see the similarity)

30.5" Snook completing my first ever Inshore slam in 1 outing.

And some interesting friends met along the way

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
rootdoc said:
26.5" Redfish (sorry Geo dont see the similarity)
Maybe Because you haven't caught one of these :?: :shock:

come on Don't bash El Carpo

other then that Phenomenal post! thanks for reading my reports And hope you keep tuning in, I'll definitely be tuned in to all of yours.

Wish there was a subscribing feature.. :mrgreen:

keep them coming!!

- Geo

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That's awesome Root!!! You slayed them. The flats kicked my ass in the canoe. Next year live bait/cut bait 4 sure. How did you fish your bait? Cajun popper?

I was talking with the guy cleaning the pool down there that said he was going after "monster snook". what's considered a monster? plus 40" to plus 50"! I can't even imagine. He had 7 rods in his truck fishes all day and cleans a few pools in between.

I tried a couple times to get photos of the Osprey diving but my camera blows. the wildlife is incredible down there. We counted something like 35 species of birds in just a few hours.

Great photos! those horseshoe crabs are cool. Congrats on a amazing trip.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Awesome pics of an awesome time! I've never fished anywhere further south then Busse :oops:. I'll have to convince the wife to go somewhere warmer next winter. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hoffman said:
That's awesome Root!!! You slayed them. The flats kicked my ass in the canoe. Next year live bait/cut bait 4 sure. How did you fish your bait? Cajun popper?

I was talking with the guy cleaning the pool down there that said he was going after "monster snook". what's considered a monster? plus 40" to plus 50"!
Catch yourself some "white bait" little silver fish with a cast net. just pull up to a sand bar and chum the waters they will come. For the cut bait it only works in the beginning of the season when the snook are coming out of the rivers and creeks looking for some food. Later in the season they typically only hit live bait or the primo artificial the Yozuri Minnow (gold). Just upgrade the rear hook to one size larger and you are set.
As for a 'monster snook" anything over the slot but typically 40"+ are try monsters. I think the record however is like 55lbs or so. So waay bigger than mine LOL. Any questions feel free to ask. I grew up salt water fishing still fairly new at this fresh water stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.