Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November 15 thru 16, 2008

It was a pretty good weekend, overall.

I have given up on my creek for the year (kind of) as I've found it to be a complete waste of time and have since been concentrating on fishing its larger feeder river, the DPR. My time at the river thus far has been totally worth it!

I was out on both Saturday and Sunday nights from, on average, about 5-8pm. Saturday was spent with some friends at the river, including Matt (fopoil), and Sunday was a solo outing/wade in snow showers which I found myself to be the only fisherman out there (really nice).

On Saturday night, the Walleyes and Sauger were going pretty good for us as a few went up to 20 inches, while others were being found at the 15 inch mark.

This time of year and especially at night, find the spots that hold fish, and fish simple with minnowbaits and nothing else. During daytime, livebait and plastics are the norms, but not the best at night, I think.

Lately, we've been finding the fish relating to both faster current, and in deep slow-moving pools with nearby current. Since we're fishing at night, we haven't been able to find the baitfish by visual sight, but if the fish are there, then they have to be in their spots for a reason.

JB, I forgot, what's this guy's name? Is it Terry? I've been running into him a lot and we've been chatting it up a bit.

Then on Sunday night, my 2 friends who were going to accompany me bailed out. Therefore, I found myself to be the only one at the river. It was pretty cold out, with snow showers throughout. All my friends thought I was a NUT for thinking of going out there.

Using the same bait from my previous 3 or 4 or 5 outings (F11 Rapala) and working the usual areas (deep water pools with current + breaks), my first cast of the evening yielded my largest Walleye of this fall. No joke!

With a long cast and then reeling at a slow but steady retrieve against the current, a fish hit within 5 feet from me along a drop-off into deep pool below. I set the hook hard, and it had good weight. It was instantly pulling drag on me, heading downstream and fought nothing like a Walleye. I thought it was a big Pike at first but to my surprise it turned out to be this 25-incher.

I set up the tri-pod, got the camera out, and I was able to get a nice photo.

After a quick procedure, she was sent off to feed some more. I caught a few other smaller fish, 1 Sauger and 1 mini Pike, and felt my weekend had concluded well - quite fittingly.

While fishing with and next to many different anglers during the past week AT AN AREA I HAVE NEVER FISHED AT, PRIOR TO THIS FALL, I have noticed that not everyone can have the same type of success nor great of results as this - (don't even think about saying "luck" because I don't believe in that propaganda BS). With this being said, there are a few things to keep in mind:

The important factors with having a shot of success with these riverine Walleyes is to understand the lures you are using (in this case, large minnowbaits), be able to read river currents, differentiate the aspects and variables of what makes a "good" Walleye habitat, being able to identify good vs. bad spots, and pay attention to the various casting angles you are given. These are the ultimate factors I live and die with.

Good weekend! 8)

Can't wait to see what this week's after-class outings will bring.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Eyes guys.. You guys are just killing them out there! :D

Andrew, I didn't know there were Saugers in the DPR until you told me. Thanks for the info bud! 8)

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wrench, they're found throughout the river. Some areas hold them while others don't - nor have the capabilities of sustaining them.

DNR stocks several thousands of them wayyyy down near the confluence with the IL and K rivers - also heard they dump them into the river at random locations too.

Out of my first few I've caught this fall, they're pretty cool little action fish!

thanks dudes!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Andrew_R said:
Wrench, they're found throughout the river. Some areas hold them while others don't - nor have the capabilities of sustaining them.

DNR stocks several thousands of them wayyyy down near the confluence with the IL and K rivers - also heard they dump them into the river at random locations too.
Thanks Andrew, I have rarely fished the DPR, You, Jason and a few others are making me think about hitting it before ice up... You guys are doing great out there! Thanks again for the Reply.

Dave

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
River slowed down significantly this past week.

Either the newspaper gigs we got jinxed us, or else it was the consistent 30-degree and much colder weather.

Still caught a few of these:

BIG minnows worked slow still doing the trick.
Not many Walleye reports amongst my friends and I but the biggest one of the week was a #4 that came in at 22". It was a fatso fish.

I'll be out there tonight for-sure and our success will dictate whether or not I will return again tomorrow.
Usually when water starts getting this cold, all I ever use is jig with bigger plastic. Might be time to switch it up.

Water temps will be in the upper-30's by mid-week.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weekend report::

Froze our butts off Saturday night. Not a single fish was contacted.

Didn't bother going back out today. Too much schoolwork going on.

I doubt the results were much different for my friends, but I'll have to confirm with them.

Got the week off for the most part, so I'll be out a few times both here and at creek.

I think the run has all but ended. But it was GOOD while it lasted. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was thinking of going to the DPR just for the heck of it. I know the bite might be off now. THem bears dont play till 7pm so I got some time Sunday morning. What do you think? WHere should I try. I am near the Park Ridge Dam area. I usually fish from Algonquin rd to Belmont areas. Also what about the Salt creek? I was out there by the warm water discharge last week and saw some bass no action. Saw lots of gold fish though. Do you think there are any good spots along the way that will still not be frozen that I may be able to try out. Let me know. THat walleye action you had the last couple of weeks seemed like it was great.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ejeraser said:
I was thinking of going to the DPR just for the heck of it. I know the bite might be off now. THem bears dont play till 7pm so I got some time Sunday morning. What do you think? WHere should I try. I am near the Park Ridge Dam area. I usually fish from Algonquin rd to Belmont areas. Also what about the Salt creek? I was out there by the warm water discharge last week and saw some bass no action. Saw lots of gold fish though. Do you think there are any good spots along the way that will still not be frozen that I may be able to try out. Let me know. THat walleye action you had the last couple of weeks seemed like it was great.
Based on my observations and historical data, I wouldn't bother with the WWD. (not saying that you should or shouldn't)

Head downstream and work the deep pool near Arlington rd. around the bridge area, and all along the property by the high school.
If you want Walleyes, I'm pretty sure more fish will be wintering in and around those areas and you won't be waiting all day for a small school of them to show up to the discharge.

Besides that, there are 8 or 9 other discharges on the creek with actual spillways. If you can find access to them, let me know, and you should be on fish ASAP. The adventure has always resulted in failure as I can't find ways to get to them without trespassing or illegally parking.

If no WWD's involved, find some deep holes near current - they'll never freeze.

As for the DPR, the run is over. Some guys still getting dinker Pike down here by me but even I'm clueless for what to do now. I lost motivation last week and haven't been out anywhere since. There aren't any Sauger up there by you but if you find them from anywhere, they should still be semi-active.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I will most likely head out tomarrow and give it a try on the WWD's. I am going to try and see if I can find a way to get to them. I am going to look on the net and see. Your info was very good. Thankyou so much. If I do find something out there in the WWD's that you listed ill let you know. Ill let you know of how I do over by Arlington rd.
Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.