Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today after hitting the gym I decided to walk across the park and scope out some shore fishing spots on or close to foster. Once I get there which took me all of 3 minutes I see that it's all fenced off and has couple sings that read water unsuitable for human contact. What the heck is that all about?

I had heard that this was a good place to fish but now I am not sire I would want to even if I could find a spot. What do you guys think about the sings and where might be a good place to fish on the river close to there if I did go?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
mplant1 said:
all the good spots have signs telling you not to fish there!

"no trespassing" and "private property" are another two good examples of "Excellent Fishing Ahead!"
:lol: Somehow it's funny. But it's True! :lol:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
everywhere on the chicago river has the unsafe for human contact signs.

walk along that fence...you will find holes cut in it...and paths to spots to fish.

other than that, the other side of the river is a "fishing area"...right by the spillway?...umm ya you cant really miss it.

fish there its a good spot to start....I myself like fishing the bridges :wink:

JayPee

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the water being unsafe for contact unless you were swimming in it or eating what you catch, and even then...Follow the river, check around bridges, check commercial properties on the river. There are some great spots- a few that I'd rather not advertise over the internet even if a lot of people already know.

·
Registered
92 Posts
svslider said:
you all do know- they didnt spend money printing and placing those signs for no reason. They never expected swimming in chicago river. Are the signs old or new?
I consider fishermen as an exception to most trespassing laws on state/county managed waters(except where fishing is illegal). Cops may feel differently, but I have gotten caught trespassing on private commercial property in Chicago for the sole reason of fishing and was allowed to stay. As long as you're not doing anything else wrong, and you just happen to be the type of guy that cops don't hassle, you can get away with it-but fish at your own risk.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
you all do know- they didnt spend money printing and placing those signs for no reason. They never expected swimming in chicago river. Are the signs old or new?
Signs have always been there. They are in any spot the mwrdc has a treated water outflow nearby. Its to insure that fair warning was given to anyone thinking about contacting the water, just in case there was an untreated over flow due to heavy rains or whatever. You can go on the mwrdc website to see the outflow points, and some have indicators that show when there is an untreated overflow. http://www.mwrd.org/irj/portal/anonymou ... 8c046323da

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went by there yesterday and their were fish jumping all over the place. I never did see what they were because I was never looking in the right place and only got to see the ripples/ splash coming from the place were jumped. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.