Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question but what do you guys use as bait on a crappie jig? I would think it's red worms and or minnows but is there anything else? Oh I will be using these under a slip bobber.

·
Registered
563 Posts
waxies are good. if your looking for crappie, a small minnow is even better. tip it with worms or crawler when looking for bluegil, perch, or sunfish. though crappie don't typically eat worms nearly as much as they like minnows or waxies. Also too, in my opinion small tube jigs are the absolute best plastic trailer for any panfish species, typically brown and flat oranges(not bright oranges), pumpkin seeds, and dark green colors are good.(brown with black flakes and other buggy type brown colors are my fav) the lighter weight the jig with a tube the better. usually it will give it a more fluttery slower fall and tick through the water lighter driving any panfish mad. Small tube jigs with small unweighted hooks can work even better than live bait at times for panfish also.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pretty much what's been said. And when it's warmer, nice fat juicy leeches.

FWIW- There was a 16 1/2" crap caught on a tube jig at Shabbona last year, and I think a 17"er on a leech. :shock:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lip_Yanker said:
Pretty much what's been said. And when it's warmer, nice fat juicy leeches.

FWIW- There was a 16 1/2" crap caught on a tube jig at Shabbona last year, and I think a 17"er on a leech. :shock:

I leech is something I may never fish with. The fact that they drink blood and will latch on to my and and or fingers gives me the Willy's. :shock: Just the thought of it is making me sick now.

Any want to put them on the hook for me. lol I sound very manly now don't I. lol :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.