Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to beck on sat and wanted to know what colors have worked well in the past?
i know that the rule of thumb is darker water darker lures and lighter water lighter lure
well i'm not sure how to judge this i know that the NCS is dark water and belleau seemed pretty clear to me when i went on the 4th what would you call beck's water light, dark or farliy clear
whats a good way to know if the water is lighter or darker i'm guessing if you can see the bottom of the lake in 2 to 3 feet of water this must be a clearer water?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
There are "certain times to use certain colors". And that is certainly true. But it is always a good idea to have several different colors available. One day the fish might want something yellow, the next day and the same conditions they want something orange.

The water at Beck Lake is medium clarity. The weather on Saturday is going to be sunny and hot. I remember one sunny and hot day last year where white spinners and pink Senko's were catching fish. It was September, but still plenty hot. You really never know.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've pretty much decided to go with only a few of anything. I have black and pumkinseed senkos, also a smoke/pearl dinger. That way I can work through the light/dark spectrum pretty much. I know, theres a lot of shades I could work but I've never had a lot of luck going through various colors, but have seen diff's between dark and light. My take is that the colors are more for the fisherman than the fish. But variety of lures in both dark and light gives you a wide variety of presentations. I also try to think outside the box. I've caught a bunch of Bass on spoons, which are normally reserved for Pike. But I have a question for Jason: How do you work the slug-go? I don't think I've figured that one out.... is it like the senko? Or, how is it different? I tried that tonight at Opeka (and have several other times) with no results at all. Other than feeling like a dweeb twitching a piece of plastic in the water for no observable reason! Oh wait, we call that fishing :lol: But seriously, how to work the slug-go?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Working a Slug-go is simple... make it become an injured minnow. That's the true nature of the Slug-go.

They are best worked just above open weed-flats, half-way between the top of the weeds and the surface. They sink slower than Senko's and have more of a minnow action.

The back of the Slug-go packages have great information on how to work them as well.

You want to learn Slug-go fishing? Axehead Lake is the PERFECT place to try them out and get results.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Topwater and I must share a brain. I try to keep it simple. I carry dark colored senkos like grn pumkin w/ blk flecks and black w/blue flecks and also purple. I also take along the two tone smoke pearl dingers for use as my "light" colored. the smoke pearls look so much like real minnows because of the white bottom half and the silver flecks along the charcoal top half. i basically try and keep them looking as natural as possible. i always ask myself, if i was a fish, would i eat that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts