Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a St.Croix Mojo with a Revo SX for crankin. I have a st. croix premiere with a citica now i need a heavy rod for Pike and throwin froggies and pitchin slop.

What rod reel combo would you suggest. I have a MH 7'0 Bionic Blade Trigger rod here that im not using. What kind of reel schould i get i was thinkin the cardiff, what would you get. What kind of rod schould i buy. schould i stick with the bionic blade. I need a heavy rod for Pike fishing(Taking 2 Canada Tripsthis year.), frog throwin and sloppin.

What kind of line i was thinkin either 20lb fireline or 30-40lb power Pro. Help me out please.

Thanks
Dom

·
Registered
825 Posts
Dom,
I would use the Bionic Blade. Any general medium heavy or heavy 7' rod will work for frogs. You always see the strikes so sensitivity is never an issue. Since you are using the reel for pike fishing, that makes things more difficult. You want a heavier reel to handle the pike lures but still be able to toss some lighter frongs. A 200 Cardiff is not a bad choice. Round reels are stronger than low profiles and that would be beefier than the Revo and Citica you already have. I have a C4 5600 Garcia that I have that fits this niche. That is a reel for you to consider too. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I use an Ambassadeur 6600CB for my musky/pike and big flathead fishing. Might not work so well for frogs, since they are light though.

65 or 80lb Power Pro for pike/musky w/80lb steel leader, and 30lb Power Pro or Spiderwire Stealth for frog slopin.

My .02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.