Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to plan a quickie day trip this Saturday and get out on my boat somewhere. Delevan and Geneva seem like decent options, but I'm always weary of weekend trips there due to high traffic. My dad and I are very familar with Geneva but have never fished Delevan, but would love to give it a try, especially if you think traffic would be less than on Geneva. Even with school back in session I have a feeling both could be crowded on Saturday if the weather is decent. I'm more than open to other options, especially if pike/muskie/walleye are present, but a good bass fishery (LM or SM) would be acceptable. With no wake in place on the chain traffic would be down, but I don't want to purchase a sticker for one trip. Shabbona can get crowded, cooling lakes are slow, not sure what other options I'm missing. Any tips/suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated... especially on short notice. Good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
959 Posts
Although you can't launch your own boat because the lakes are smaller you could consider Deep Lake, Defiance Lake, or Independence Grove. All 3 of these places have really nice bass in them and all 3 rent row boats. Deep and Defiance also have some decent pike as well and I have heard that some musky and walleye reside in Independence Grove. Of course, none of these help you with your quest to launch your own boat. :roll:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Was considering Deep, but I always prefer the peace of mind of using my own rig with my foot control trolling motor and depth finder :) I've wanted to try Independence Grove, especially with the prospects for musky, but again no boat of my own and a smaller body of water with potential of being crowded. Even if the pressure is from the shore, the lake is small enough that it could cut into the amount of fishable water from a boat... maybe a scouting trip on my canoe is in order (can I launch my own?) Keep the ideas coming. Thanks again guys.

Alex

·
Registered
959 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere that you can launch your own canoe on Defiance Lake, but I can't seem to find that article again. It's about a 50-acre lake with no shore fishing allowed. I was out last Saturday for 6 hours along with 2 other boats so it's far from crowded. Earlier this year I caught two pike in the 24" range. I had heard that a couple of weeks back some 28-30" pike were being pulled in and I know there are bigger ones in there. You would probably have to check with the park office about launching your canoe there, but it might be a thought. Very peaceful and quiet with some good fish swimming around. No walleye or musky though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, no canoe of my own on Independence Grove because "we have zebra mussels". Oh well, but their prices on boat rentals are insane. 1st is the $10 for parking on weekends, then for a 14' boat it's $16/2 hours + $11/2 hours for a trolling motor. The boat is $7/add'l hour and motor is $5/add'l hour. If I ventured out for 4 hours (avg boat outing for me, I suppose) I'm looking at $61!!! I'd better get a BJ while fishing for that type of money... :eek: Anyways, after looking at the contour map for the lake, the musky hunter in me might not be able to resist the potential I see as I glance at the map. Maybe I'll try from shore 1st... but I still need to figure out this SATURDAY!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys. Thought about Lake Wisconsin having fished their before, but that might just be out of range for my day trip idea. I'm always down, but we'll see how dedicated my dad is feeling. I'd love to try Pewaukee or one of the Milwaukee metro lakes, but do you know how the weekend traffic is doc? Still wondering if anyone has input on early September Geneva/Delevan traffic (where r u FishinMatt? :wink: )

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Really dont think you would have much of a problem on Geneva on saturday. Just get to Fontana launch by 500am and you will have no problems, with the weather not being as nice as last weekend it is also to your benefit. If i wasnt going a little farhter north in wisconsin i would definitly be at geneva. Good luck in your quest to find somewere to fish. :D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
My understanding of the weekend traffic up in those lakes that I listed is that isn't that bad. Many of those lakes in that region are more fishing than recreational boating.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Coyote & Doc. For just a day trip we're leaning towards Geneva now because we have lots of experience on that lake and none on the Metro lakes, but I suppose I gotta have a first trip sooner or later. Hey coyote, I've always launched out of Williams Bay... do you think I'm better off going out of Fontana, though? We probably wouldn't be at the lake until 6 or 6:30 though. Also, we've always fished in June & July or early August, but never this late in the season. What depths/cover should I be focusing on? Will artificials produce or should I be looking to use my standard "Geneva" rig of a splitshot & crawler? I know Pike will be deeper and looking for big shiners or roaches, but not sure 'bout the bass. Thanks again guys.

Alex

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I'll be on Geneva myself Saturday. Every weekend will see less and less recreational boat traffic, but if it is a nice weekend, they will be out there all September. As more of the moored boats are pulled out though, the traffic seems to decrease. If you are not launching until 630 or so, you may not get a spot at Williams, but Fontana will have room for sure. The standard nightcrawler approach has been deadly and will work even better as the season goes on. It seems as the water cools, the smallies school tighter and tighter. Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips Matt... Fontana it will be, if we go... my dad's been having a rough week at work and may opt out of a day trip after all, in which case I'll be SOL and would probably hit up Independence Grove from shore or the Glen as a last resort... still hoping for Geneva, though. Thanx again Matt. Maybe I'll see you on the water.

Alex

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
May take you up on your offer Mr B. I'll hopefully know by tonight as to Pop's plans as well as my own... I'll post as soon as I know 4 sure. Looks like Saturday will be dry but a potential cold front clear out day, which is never the best on clear water. Fish slower & deeper I guess. Where do you live Mr B in case we end up hooking up (no pun intended) on Saturday.

Alex

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my dad's grueling week (actually weeks) of work finally met the light at the end of the tunnel. The company he owns passed their inspections with flying colors to be ISO 9002 & ASM certified (if anyone even is familiar with that certification), so he is now looking forward to a quickie Geneva trip on Saturday morning. Sorry Mr B, guess we'll have to try & link up later this month.
That being said, anyone know what depths/structure/cover I should be focusing on this time of the year? 1st time in a long time either of us will be fishing Geneva in September. Know most of the hot spots, but not sure which will be productive for us. Thanks.

Alex

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No prob dude. I think that its awesome that your dad fishes with you, mine wont leave the couch. I still might go, just not sure if I want to take my 14' bathtub out alone on that water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.