Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am goin out ice fishin with my dad what lake would be good want to try my new toy aqua vue i hears reports of marie pistakee and the T chanel so i will probably hit those but just wanted some opinions on what people are catching also any idea on what catherine is producing any crappies yet all right thanks if you reply

All you guys have a safe and good ice fishing season
Thanks Jay

·
Registered
229 Posts
I love my aquaVu, I hope it works for you in the chain. I have found the water in the Fox River channel I fish is too dirty to see more than 2 feet. On other lakes like Crystal Lake & some places I've gone in WI the underwater camera is addicting. I saw so many cool things last year.

I put the camera next to one of my tip ups; I watched a bass come up & very gently lip in the minnow. he sat there with the minnow 100% inside his mouth for over 15 seconds, then spat it out. He sat there watching the minnow for a few minutes then pulled it in again. I could have grabbed the tip-up & hooked him, but I wanted to see what happened. After a full 30 seconds with the minnow in his mouth he spit it out again & swam off, all without pulling on the line or setting off the flag. (or killing the minnow for that matter) Made me wonder how often that happens.

Lots of times you can get a heads up that you're about to get a hit just by the way the minnow is acting. My last trip out last year I was watching when the minnow took off like a bat out of hell. a couple seconds later this guy blew past in a blur. I then watched my automatic fisherman's slack pull tight & trigger the hook-set. This is no arm extension trick either, I'm pulling my glasses off my eyes & holding up the fish with one hand - probably my biggest bass ever. (released)
dennisbass.jpg

Enjoy that new toy - you'll love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
aqua views are even cooler on boats, i bought one last ice season and had a blast watching bass inhale my lures, i even spotted muskie under the ice(not a big one, but it was a tiger) but on boats you wouldnt beleive how many fish pass your lure up. i was in wisconsin and spotted schools of walleye all over the place, then proceeded to throw everything in my tackle box at them without a strike for hours, live bait wouldnt do anything either. but every time i dropped the camera i saw a new group of walleye just cruising around. it drove me nuts so i jus gave up and watched em for a while.

But i agree that trhe chain may be too murky, i took mine out to the chain last winter and couldnt see much, clear lakes are the only way to go with those.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
but every time i dropped the camera i saw a new group of walleye just cruising around. it drove me nuts so i just gave up and watched em for a while.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Lake Geneva and Bangs are two great place to use the Aqua view but the chain is not so becasue of the stain water. You can maybe see 2ft at the most.

Dave surprised your not out on the ice today. Too cold and windy for you :D ?
All I know is you better bring your shanty out tomorrow becasue the forcast is calling for a high of 38 w/cloudy skies and winds coming from the S at 20-30 :shock: .

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Haha!!! Who needs a shanty!!!

I will suck it up and be a man! :lol:

I was thinking about hitting the ice again this morning. But Man!- 4 days in a row on the chain. I need 1 day to rest, especially if we all are going to meet in the parking lot tomorrow morning at 5am... 8)

Cya on the ice tomorrow. Call me later...

PS: Larry, wind doesn't bother me at all. rain and sleet does. I remember you on Delavan, it was somewhat windy and you still had to keep goin in your shanty... :roll: But I will sometimes use one! You know I can fish 18 hours straight in the freezing cold! :mrgreen: It's the Gear that you wear that matters! :wink:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
wolfriver, Pistakee is a good Lake, so is Marie... It's just a matter of getting out on finding the fish. The Chain of Lakes is a great fishery! I recieved a PM from ya. I will PM you back in a little bit with some some info...

Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
Legend075 said:
Lake Geneva and Bangs are two great place to use the Aqua view but the chain is not so becasue of the stain water. You can maybe see 2ft at the most.

If you wanna use your aqua view on the chain you can hit Channel and Katherine as they are the northern most lakes in the chain and they are not affected by cloudier water as the southern lakes of the chain are!Plus the weeds in these two lakes act as natural filter's. :wink:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
Haha!!! Who needs a shanty!!!

I will suck it up and be a man! :lol:

I was thinking about hitting the ice again this morning. But Man!- 4 days in a row on the chain. I need 1 day to rest, especially if we all are going to meet in the parking lot tomorrow morning at 5am... 8)

Cya on the ice tomorrow. Call me later...

PS: Larry, wind doesn't bother me at all. rain and sleet does. I remember you on Delavan, it was somewhat windy and you still had to keep goin in your shanty... :roll: But I will sometimes use one! You know I can fish 18 hours straight in the freezing cold! :mrgreen: It's the Gear that you wear that matters! :wink:
Ya I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold. I cant ice fish without my fish trap bro. :mrgreen:

The reason why you dont get cold is becasue of all that beer you drink out there that keeps you all warm you eskimo :D. I saw all those beer cans on the ice last year on Lake X :wink: .

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
bossman41 said:
Will see Saturday when the wind is gusting up to 40 and you can't tell if your getting a bite! :lol:
Yea, that might be the only problem, I will have to watch my Zercom closely and hope I can feel the bite! :mrgreen:

Big Bass Lee just bought a shanty about an hour ago LOL ... He will be ready!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
ZERRRCOM that unit is older than me and you put together lol. Hey Dave did Lee buy a 1 or 2 man shanty? EJ and Dennis is also coming out on Saturday Tony aka Salmonhunter might meet us out there afterwork. Its going to be one hell of a time out there tomorrow.

Lance a gallon :shock: dude you know some of us have to drive home.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My zercom is old, but man it still works and hell man, I catch fish, can mark fish, mark my jig, and the battery lasts forever. It's better than no Flasher at all. LOL :lol: I just like it for reading depth mostly... :mrgreen:

Lee bought a 2 man Frabill, He bought it off of Pauleye on Chitown. We just went to go get it... Him and Karen will fish in the shanty, I will be the hole hopper as usuale trying to stay on fish! :wink:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Legend075 said:
You know someone with a SUV I have another 1 man Fish Trap you can use and yes I have already tried too put both of them in the Explore unsuccessfully.
larry, i put a 2 man pop up shanty, my gear, gas auger and my other ish in my civic, remember? you can do it!!! :D
ever thought about the roof rack or a hitch carrier. i might consider because my trap actually takes up alot of room in my suv, idk how ill fit my eskimo quick flip II.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Legend075 said:
You know someone with a SUV I have another 1 man Fish Trap you can use and yes I have already tried too put both of them in the Explore unsuccessfully.
LOL, The truck is packed, not much room dude... Thanks for the offer though. If Keith was not away right now, I would be able to get my Shapell from his girls house. It has been there since last year! :x

But I don't need a shanty man, You know me... you have seen me in -20 degree weather with winds... I ain't no bitch when it comes to ice fishing and cold weather ;)

Cya at 4:30am :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
My zercom is old, but man it still works and hell man, I catch fish, can mark fish, mark my jig, and the battery lasts forever. It's better than no Flasher at all. LOL :lol: I just like it for reading depth mostly... :mrgreen:

Lee bought a 2 man Frabill, He bought it off of Pauleye on Chitown. We just went to go get it... Him and Karen will fish in the shanty, I will be the hole hopper as usuale trying to stay on fish! :wink:
Heyy thats my old zercom!!! I wish I still had that as it did work awesome and I never had any problems with it. Im chargeing my vex up now but tomrrow looks shitty so we shall see what the morning brings!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.