Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another line delema here. I am sick of reasearching. I have changed my mind every day. Here it is

IM GETTING A NEW REEL PROB A REVO S OR SX HAVENT DECIDED. I WILL BE USING THE REEL ON A ST. CROIX PREMERE 6'6M TRIGGER ROD. IM DEBATING TO PUT 20LB FIRELINE ON IT. OR 100% FLUOROCARBON IN 15 or 17lb test.

SET UP WILL BE USED FOR
TOPWATER BUZZBAIT, POPPER, HEDDONS ALL TOPWATER,
SPINNER BAIT
JIG FISHING, and a few other finnese techniques like TEXAS RIGGING OR CAROLINA RIGGING.

ANY ADVICE WHAT LINE WOULD YOU USE, I LOVE THE FACT THAT FIRELINE HAS NEVER SNAPPED ON ME AND CAN HANDLE TOOTHY FISH and is SO ABRASION RESISTANT. I ALSO LOVE THAT FLUOROCARBON IS SO SMOOTH AND ALMOST INVISIBLE IN THE WATER. Currently im leaning towards fireline, but yesterday i wanted Fluorocarbon.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

Thanks
DOm

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
flouro has very little stretch, with the topwaters that means youll pull it right out of their mouth if you dont wait extra long. Since its specific for topwater maybe mono is best? I use fireline crystal for spinning since I have it but I dont like how it gets frayed looking.
For your baitcaster, you need to use a line diameter to match the reels line rating or youll get problems with the line digging into itself and snagging up. For me that means 50 lb test suffix which is the same thickness as 12 lb mono.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
dude,

finese fishing is one thing

topwater scum fishing is another

i can speak for topwater better - get non stretch heavy line and a heavy rod. the less bending and stretching the better

·
Registered
156 Posts
For an all around choice, based on all the different types of fishing you want to use it for, your best choice may be mono. Allow me to explain my statement:

Mono is a line that all around works for every application, though it is not my first choice in many of them, it is the only line I know of that can do it all, though with varying degrees of success.

Treble hook baits (including treble topwaters), I like mono for this. As I am not one to use glass rods, i rely on my line to absorb shock and stretch to prevent the trebles from coming out of the fish. I use mono for crankabits, and topwaters with trebles.

Single hook baits (spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swimbaits, topwater frogs, some fluke and senko rigs, etc) I like braid for these. These are baits that generally require a hard hookset, and / or are fished in thick azz cover. Braid gets the nod here for it's tuffness, and zero stretch. Thin diameter is a plus too for casting distance.

Jigging / texas rigging, finesse fishing, I like flouro. i like that fact that it sinks, and it has little strech, and is more sensitive than mono. You could argue that braid works well for these tactics as well, but I do a lot of this type of fishing in snag country, and a snag with braid could be a real problem. Plus flouro is near invisiable underwater, which is a good thing for these types of presentations.

So, long story short, you could argue that you need at least 3 different rod/reel combos to achieve the perfect line for each situation :wink: (many more to have all the different strengths covered in each line type) :lol: So go out and get not just one combo, but several! :lol: :lol:

If you are going with just one, I would spool up with 12-14 lb mono, as a good all around choice that can handle most applications. You could also go with braid and just use mono or flouro leaders when needed also.

Good luck!

D

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I agree with FisShinD, mono for treble hook topwaters and braid for fishing the slop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
when i bought my first baitcaster about 8-9 years ago i set it up with braid 30 lb. (recommend power pro) Its a great all around line except not really good for finesse unless you set up a florocarbon leader with it. I use braid right now on 3 of my baitcasters and one is for spinnerbaits/jigs, the other is rattletraps and topwater, and the other one i use for heavy flippn. But it all depends on water clarity and cover. Mono has a lot of stretch compared to braid and or floro so that's another thing to keep in mind.

I agree with fishnd with everything but the mono for trebled topwaters. I use a lot of sammy's (dawg baits) and i've seen people break off on mono when the fish pull ya down in cover but with the braid you just have so much more control in where the fish is going.

I never really liked mono, but I'm throwing it this year for one application swimbaits. So far its doing ok, just not getting the hooksets I wanted yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.