Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i had a disaster of a day because of my motor I'm curious to see what you guys use.
does anyone use the trolling motors that you can charge? And don't have to run on a separate battery ?
or any suggestions on Quality brands

Thanks guys

george

:D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't know of any rechargable motors offhand. But, was it your trolling motor or battery? A well maintained properly charged battery is essential for any good performance.

As far as trolling motors, my opinion is Minn Kota is probably your best bet.

Also have to factor in wind, boat size/capacity it's carrying, motor/battery size, and if it's transom or bow mount too. Bow mount is easier on the battery, since it's easier to pull a boat in the water instead of pushing it.

I can get 8hrs of trolling from my battery with a bow mounted 35lb thrust motor on a 15' aluminum boat, loaded with 2 persons and gear.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Trolling motor-
45lb thrust Motorguide (or 40 lb thrust MinnKota) with 600 cca Everstart deepcycle. We have gotten full days uses out of this rig for a few years now. Sometimes two days in a row with no charging. :oops:

Moving motor-
1957 SeaKing. Horsepower unknown.
or 1956 SeaKing. 5hp.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
One thing that a lot of people dont know is that a battery cannot be left on the ground/dirt/concrete/gravel/basement floor for extended periods of time. Put it on a 2x10 up off the ground or a shelf to prevent it from being ruined. Not sure why this happens, but it definately does.

An automatic charger will keep you from frying it with to much hard charging also. Using a regular car battery charger too much isnt good for deeps.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've had several MK motors. I had a 17 lb MK for years that I absolutely abused. That thing just ran and ran. I burned something up in my 55 lb Powerdrive on my boat when it was a few months old. Yeah- there were a lot of weeds on the prop and I shoulda removed them sooner but it still seemed kinda defective to me. After getting it repaired, it has been flawless. The pedal on the older Powerdrives suck too. I had an Autopilot which was very reliable yet the Autopilot feautre itself is a little over-rated if you ask me. I use an older 3 HP MK stern TM now that does the job when I am using small boats. But I haven't used it that much.

Overall, if I was in your position I would definetely get a Minn Kota. While I have never owned a Motorguide, I have heard a lot more negative stories about them than MK. I would also get the biggest one you can and the one with the Maximizer feature. Both a bigger motor and the Maximizer feature will help you run longer on a battery charge. Good fishing.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
One thing that a lot of people dont know is that a battery cannot be left on the ground/dirt/concrete/gravel/basement floor for extended periods of time. Put it on a 2x10 up off the ground or a shelf to prevent it from being ruined. Not sure why this happens, but it definately does.
Urban Myth #46916452

http://www.crankit.com/www/faqs/tech_ta ... toring.htm

Will storing my battery on concrete drain the charge? No. Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Damn Mike, I am anal about keeping my batteries off the ground :p

George, I have a Minn Kota Endura 55 lb thrust. Its not a bad motor but definitly needs two quality batteries for a day of hardcore fishing. Heck, last time out with it brought 3, but did not need them.

After getting the motor your main investments will be a quality battery charger and 2 batteries and that should be all you need.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
but it no longer applies
Maybe I'm wrong and it was an illusion, but I think it really does apply. Specificaly with motorcycle/wavrunner batteries. But then again, those are closer to the old style open cell type. The other thing that article makes me think is that insulating it from the floor may decrease any condensation. That would fall into the category of being a "conductive surface layer that could cause it to self discharge more rapidly."

Either way my batteries are staying up on their 2x4's :p

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
OUCH !!!! $1,499.99~$1,699.99 :shock:

42lb thrust MinnKota Model 812 w/Autopilot
Optima m31 blue top

1989 Yamaha 3hp
1964 Johnson 3hp

Home made side/bow mount so I can use the foot control like the big boys....Priceless :lol:

Just have to figure out a portable decking idea for Jack's boats...now that would be bad ass :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
40lb thrust Minn Kota Maxxum w/variable speed( imo more important to go as slow as possible than fast ) & maximizer
Optima m31 blue top battery
1958 Johnson Sea Horse 7.5hp outboard
1956 Johnson Sea Horse 7.5hp outboard

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hey, I've got a 4-stroke Mercury that isn't starting. Anybody know of a place to repair that is close to des plaines?

It turns over, just won't stay running, I've checked and gumout'ed everything I can and am pretty sure the fuel filter is fine, so am at a bit of a loss for why it won't run. It's been sitting for 15 months, but should have come around by now. :cry:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Carb jets are clogged :twisted: , any spark?

If you want bring it over we can throw her in the tank....i'll get her going.

Rebuilt 3 motors last year they all run like tops now.
I love to get the old motors up and running. 8)

Total cost of labor one cold.. 12pack....lol Parts are on you...most times
ya just need a good carb cleaning then they fire right up. :wink:

Always good to redo the hypoid oil in the lower unit ...while your at it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
BassCaster said:
Carb jets are clogged :twisted: , any spark?

If you want bring it over we can throw her in the tank....i'll get her going.

Rebuilt 3 motors last year they all run like tops now.
I love to get the old motors up and running. 8)

Total cost of labor one cold.. 12pack....lol Parts are on you...most times
ya just need a good carb cleaning then they fire right up. :wink:

Always good to redo the hypoid oil in the lower unit ...while your at it!!!!!
When I buy an older motor I am coming to you, 12 pack in hand!!! :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.