Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course pan frying is the classic, tastiest and easiest way to cook fish. But I have pan fried a million times (not literally, I aint no poacher)

But what techniques aside from pan frying do you guys like. Again any recepie or technique other than frying is what I wanna hear, I have fried in every great batter imaginable and in many different ways. I have also grilled as well which is great. now my mouth is watering just thinkin about fresh fish :) .

What ways alternative to frying have you guys done and would suggest?
grillin, bakin, and other tips n recipes...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Depends on what you are cooking. Good sized fillets can be baked. Just brush with lemon and olive oil and season to taste. I like garlic, season salt and pepper. I also like to use a baking pan that has a wire grate in it. Just lay them on the grate and put it in the oven at 350. When the top starts to brown flip them. You want to cook them till they flake with a fork.
Larger fish can be grilled whole. Cut the head off and clean the fish and scale it. Make a stuffing with bread crumbs, onions, garlic and seasoning. Stuff the cavity and season the outside of the fish. Wrap it in foil and throw it on the grill. Flip occasionally till done.
Small fish can be ground up and formed into fish patties. My mom would do this with canned salmon. You should add some bread crumbs to hold it together and a couple of eggs. Season to taste and pan fry in olive oil.
Good cooking
L2F
PS the only way to pan fry anything is in cast iron.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Brook Trout !!! Head and gut them, throw in a thin slice of lemon and a bit of garlic butter in it, roll in tinfoil, bake in the campfire coals till you hear the sizzzle. The BEST tasting fish anywhere !!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Brookies are the best, why would you want th take the head off?
Browns are the carp of the trout family
Throw some salt and pepper on a brook and put it on a stick over a fire and you think you have gone to heaven.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LUV2FISH said:
PS the only way to pan fry anything is in cast iron.
Agreed. I like to use the old electric frying pans from the 60's and 70's. they dont make em like they used to, the new electric frying pans just dont get hot Enough, they are crappy. The old ones blaze! i think they make em weaker because the older ones get so damn hot they are probably hazardous.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agreed on the electric frying pans. I have two of the that we got for wedding gifts in 76. When I threw the ex out of the house she never got her grubby hands on them. The some of the best fish I have ever had is shore lunch Walleye in Canada. 18 in cast iron over a wood fire, about 3in of oil, throw some flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag, shake the fish pieces around and drop them in the oil. In about 3 min you are eating the freshest fish you have ever had.
LUV2EATFISH2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.