Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be visiting my brother in oregon, Il. Im gunna go try for some cats on the rock river around the oregon dam. Last time out there I didnt have the best fishing day, caught some dink smallies, and a few channel cats.
I know there are mando flatheads there.

Whats the best bait to use for flatheads?
Whats the best for chanel cats?
What baits are good for the bigger cats, and which ones will provide good luck in numbers?

I dont know much about catfishing, I am mostly a walleye and bass angler.
I have only caught a few cats out there last time, We caught chanel cats on cheese dip bait, and chicken livers.

Any advice is welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Bigger cats I've heard bluegill works good. For anything else chicken liver works good and is cheap or anykind of stinkbait you could pick up at walmart, dicks or any outdoor store.

·
Registered
560 Posts
in my experience stink baits and dough balls never work for me fresh cut baits seem to be the way to go. I buy fresh talapia at the store works every time!

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
robbiegill said:
in my experience stink baits and dough balls never work for me fresh cut baits seem to be the way to go. I buy fresh talapia at the store works every time!
He's right on that. I bought some ralapia and the fish LOVED it. Had at least 10 bites in a few hours.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Buy a box of Wheaties... Doughballs made from Wheaties are great for Cats and Carp... My neighbor's kid won the Twin Lakes derby in 2006, 5 minutes after it started, with a Wheaties doughball... Catfish was 6.2 lbs... Glad I brought him along that day... I hadn't even finished making my doughball yet and the kid's got a winner on the line! Funny stuff...

BPM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.