Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since fishin matt's "watareyougunnatry this year post" I figure id ask a couple questions about some baits I got, and am gunna give a whirl in 09. Maybe Ill catch for some valuable input from the fine minds of WCF. If you gotta new tactic you don mind sharin, please do.

Rapala Glidin' rap (musky and canadain pike bait, hopefully)
Looks sweet, seems to be on every other musky episode and a few canada Pike segements.
-Anyone else have experience with this bait?

Musky chatterbait, and the slighty smaller chatterfrog, I wanna try these for pike in canada and of course musky in midwest as well.
-anyone got experience or ideas about this bait?

The ol' suick, obviously not a new bait, but new to me, what kind of experiences and tips can be offered for musky and big pike wit this bait? I have a few sizes and variations, and im kinda wondering if they are sorta outdated, plus if there are much better alternatives out now.

The rapala sub-walk I barely fished it last year when it hit the market and caught one decent bass, but for some reason cant find the situation that I can feel good confidence in it.
-any personal experiences or info on this bait?

The clackin rap I had to buy one because of all the hype and its a slight twist on rattle baits, it looks nice but who knows.... anyone have experinces with this new bait yet?

All input is always appreciated on any of these questions. If you have a new discovery you wanna share, please do, thats what this site is all about. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
There was a nice long article in In-Fishermen about a day on the water fishing the Gliding Rap. It is supposed to be a great pike bait. They mentioned the sub-walk, and that got good play as well. You know, there is so much out this year its going to be hard to effectively sample it all. Good luck with your selections.

·
Registered
748 Posts
donit get rid of the ole suick, i love that bait ,you can adjust the back lip so it brings the head out of the water,looks like a snake swimming on the water or adjust it so it dives then floats back to the surface,last year at sterling was working it in the dive mode it dived but did not come back up felt one hard tap set the hook a lot of weight on the rod big swirl in the water then gone It is a art to work a suick but you can do a lot with it

·
Registered
826 Posts
Erik,

For the most partm I don't have a lot of confidence in any baits until I have caught fish on them or been with someone who I've seen catch fish on them. This is the great thing about being in a bass club and fishing with different guys. Last year, I was turned onto several new baits from club members. Also, one of my fishing buddies is very creative and always is up-to-date with the hot new presentations.

Speaking of the baits you suggested, the subwalk is one that I read some great things about last summer. I picked one up but I didn't really use it that much. I guess some guys on the Kank did very well with it for the smallies. Going to try it again this summer. Let us know how the baits work out for you. Good fishing.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Oh boy, I checked out the Youtube clip of the subwalk. Then it was the X-Rap Walk. Then it was the X-Rap Shad. More lures that I will probably put in my box. Maybe I should not of started that thread. I'm going to be broke before the season even starts :p

·
Registered
329 Posts
Haven't checked out the glidin' rap yet.

Picked up a subwalk and am looking forward to that one hitting the water for smallies or toothy critters if it does suspend below the surface like they say it will... reminds me of a smaller version of the old weighted Eddie bait that was created around the same time as the Suick way back when.

Speaking of the Suick, still one of my favorite muskie baits. Worked over the tops of cabbage beds can be dynamite. Love working it over shallow rock piles mid to late summer for muskie, and I've got plenty of suicks with teethmarks as evidence. Evenings in August will find me throwing Suicks & Top-Raiders almost exclusively on the rocks. Walleye & sucker patterns have always worked best for me. Working a Suick correctly takes some practice, but once you get it down, HOLD ON! They used to not include split o-rings for the trebles, so I would add my own or you would potentially lose some fish when they would go into their 'death roll'. I believe they do now include split rings,but if not I'd recommend adding your own. My dad & I used to modify some of ours w/ weights as well. We'd drill a hole on the underside behind the first treble (between the two painted red 'fins') and add an egg sinker and epoxy it into place for a suspended or deeper running model. You'd have to test your drill location and amount of weight added in the fish tank to get it right, but it was a fun winter project. They may now offer factory weighted versions, but what fun is that :wink: ? Rollie & Helen's also offers some exclusive custom painted versions.

Sorry for the long winded response, but as you can see I love the Suick. The only 40"+ fish I raised on Wonder Lake & the Fox river last year came on Suicks. No hook-ups, but nothing else in the box was even grabbing their attention for awhile. Good luck & good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet info from all.

Im definitely gunna throw the suick without doubting it as much now. and AL, they do make weighted suicks now, I got one and it has nice action. I have always been aware of the modifications and versatility of these baits, but I didnt know if they were still a hot presentation in today's angling what with all the newer up-to-date musky baits out there now. I also have an all black smaller suick, I think im gunna repaint it into a good pattern and experiment with it for canada pike.

hopefully I can catch some fish and add some of these to the list of my confidence lures. :D .
thanks for the tips.
Keep throwin in feedback on tactics, I love learning new strategies, its my favorite part of fishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.