Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say I would trade all I have learned from books on fishing for more hours fishing with better fisherman on the water. There's no substitute for fishing with people better than you.

Having said that, my friends don't fish. So, I've had to teach them how to fish, a little better.

And aside from learning a few techniques from fishing guides (Mister Twister Keeper Hooks and Rattletraps specifically), I've done my learning from books.

Here are my favorite top 3.

Bass Wisdom by Homer Circle (Paperback - April 1, 2000) - Just a nice way to start someone on bass fishing. No rocket science, just good stories on basic lure choices, knots, advanced techniques, and a few good stories. Practical stuff.

Roland Martin's 101 Bass-Catching Secrets by Roland Martin - Some books have more to offer the more you read them. I purchased this book a few years ago, thought it was good, and then set it aside. Now that I spend more time fishing Deep Lake for bass instead of 4" bluegill, I picked up Martin's book again. It makes more sense now that I have a bit more experience. It's a very literate book, one that's worth reading.

I own a book published by the North American Fishing Club, edited by Spence Petros. Perhaps the title was Fishing Secrets or Freshwater Fishing Secrets. But Spence edited it and wrote some of the articles. Have you ever taken Spence's fishing class? Great stuff. And Spence writes very well also. If you want a refresher on catching different types of freshwater fish, find the NAFC book edited by Spence Petros.

I'd rather fish more than read, but reading fishing books is better than watching TV, by a whole lot.

I think I have 20-30 fishing books at home. I enjoy other books like Lunkers Love NightCrawlers, Fly Fishing through the Mid-Life Crisis, and others. But my favorite authors so far are Roland Martin, Homer Circle, and Spence Petros.

Happy reading and fishing to all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My favorite would probably be....
101 Funny Stories- Fishing
I read this book three time in 3 hrs. the stories were funny and intresting. And in about a week or so Im gonna get Mike Iaconelli's book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.