Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you guys use a leader. What bait are you supposed to use a leader for? Im a diehard spinnerbait user and never use a leader, should I start? Also I just orders some crankbaits, do I use a leader for those?

·
Registered
702 Posts
My 2 cents, leaders are for toothy fish such as northern pike and musky, who if they bite the line would snap it. Even then, it is really only the larger pike and musky that will have the jaw size to necessitate a leader. Smaller pike, like those being pulled out of the DPR, really don't need a leader, but ya never know when you might get a big boy on!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
When you get the spinnerbait bit off a few times its a good idea to start using a leader. I dont think the pike really notice things like that. It couldnt hurt using it, for even the little guys have the same sharp teeth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with Topwater, but a lot of times its not the teeth that cut the line its the Northerns gill plates. Leader length can also be important based on what fish you are fishing for.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
If you are going to be fishing the DPR you probably don't need them with a spinnerbait. The pike in the DPR aren't big enough to cut off the line above the spinnerbait. If you are using an inline spinner then that is another story. If you are going for bass, I wouldn't use them even if you are concerned about pike.

·
Super Moderator
6,234 Posts
Standard spinnerbaits seem to be a safe bait not to use a leader. About the only time I use them is if I am strictly fishing for pike/musky. Bass really seem to shy away from them, and in some cases, it kills the action of the bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.