Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to this lake about 4-5 times last month. been getting absolutely nothing there except for a tiny bass during one outing. i really enjoy going here and to glenview. the views are nice and the people walking around are so friendly. probably going to stop coming here when they start stocking it with trout. i was thinking about buying a stamp and trying to fish for keeps but im not too sure i know how to fish for them. i'm also hearing how crowded it gets, which is also discouraging =\

·
Registered
453 Posts
They are actually pretty easy to fish for and if you have a really light setup, they can be a blast. I highly suggest a light setup...it's fun, but you catch WAY more fish with a lighter rod. Try to use 4 lb. mono, but nothing more than 8. IMO, Belleau is less crowded than Axehead. Belleau takes a little more experience to fish. For bait, you can use anything from powerbait to flies on a fly rod. If you do use bait, try to keep it like 2-4 feet deep with a bobber. The fish will come up to get it. The thing I love about trout fishing at Belleau is that everyone around me could not be catching any fish, while like me and my friends are catching fish the entire time. I limited out so fast last year. I wouldn't let the crowds keep you away. Also, after about a week, most of the people are gone and there were a few times where I was the only guy out there. It's worth buying the stamp and it could be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
This is imo 1 of the toughest fpd lakes to fish.
its small,very clear,steep dropoffs,and u`ll snag in the rocks no matter what u throw.
I don`t believe it has a big bass population and very few quality fish.
I`ve heard of smallmouth stocking there but have yet to see 1 even though it seems like the perfect smallmouth lake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are some good bluegill in there and I have seen (unfortunately not caught) one smallie there. I suggest going to Dick's and getting small inline spinners for 99 cents a pop or some inexpensive plastic swim baits because, like Culprit mentioned, you will lose some baits in the rocks and the small. There are weeds deep, really deep. Bluegill and small LM will slam the inline spinners and can be fun with a real light setup. The only big fish I've seen pulled out of Belleau have been carp. They were monsters!!! Wish I could help you with some tips on catching big LM, wish I could catch a big LM in there :x

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have caught a few nice bass 12" and 13" lmb from Belleau. Also some 6" and 8" dinks .......... All on senkos #196. The rocks do eat up some hooks and lures so be ready to snap that line. There are fish in the lake
but the population is small I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts