Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I fished the NSC north of Howard from 10:00-1:30 temps were in the 40s. We ended up catching over 30 crappie and one big carp. All fish were caught on floating green, black, and glow jig heads tipped with fatheads which were placed about ten inches away from a weight. A lot of the fish were pretty fat. Below is a picture of one of the bigger ones (in length) that I caught.

I went there hoping to catch bass. Does anyone have any tips on how I could catch bass and avoid the crappie? Would bigger minnows work?

-Islander

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Well, Sean, what you actually have there is a white perch. Yes, there is such a fish and they are abundant in the NSC. And they are the biggest nuisance fish when using live bait.

The bass are there, it's just a challenge this time of year getting on a productive pattern.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I always use baby roaches instead of the fatheads because I get TOO MANY small fish. I don't think I've ever caught anything besides bass on a roach...maybe a huge crappie, but they do do the job of getting rid of most of the smaller fish.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Augy and I found many at the WWD 10 or so each (7:30am to 9:30am was good) the next 4 hours were not :-(

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Next time I go the NSC I'll pick up some roaches. I think I'm going to go to the wwd on friday morning; after catching all those perch I'm dying to catch a bass.

JasonN said:
Well, Sean, what you actually have there is a white perch. Yes, there is such a fish and they are abundant in the NSC.
Sorry about the incorrect post. :oops: I will have to edit the report from a week ago that said I caught 6 crappie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts