Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Sorry, I was running around all day.
I made it out to Axe by 5:15AM due to some traffic issues on the Kennedy. Fished the usual southern area. It was really slow. Some guys were gettting them here and there but nowhere near the usual bite. One guy that was a few spots to the right of me was on fire. He was using a three feet leader with a bobber and wax worms (I think). Anyway, live bait seemed to be the key. I used Power Eggs and Power Bait the whole morning. I had to leave around 8:30AM. Also, it appeared that the trout were hanging out in deeper water. I guess the warmer weather got more people out. It was crowded!

That's my observation. I ended up with no fish.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I think that the warm weather made the fishing tougher. That is probably good because there should be some trout around for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I stopped off on the way home this afternoon, just to see what was going on. I don't have a trout sticker yet. It looked pretty crowded. Talked to a few of the bucket brigade. Most said they have had nothing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Fished with Edai and his friend from about 4am till 9am saturday morning. I didn't catch anything, but edai caught two and his friend one. It was very slow... One guy in camo just kept nailing them. They were indeed further/deeper into the lake. It was hard casting that far with my UL though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also had trouble getting out to Axehead lake. Finally got there around 6 am.
Saw two guys limit out. I think they were using casting bubbles and winging out there to the middle of the lake with waxies and/or power bait. Using, I think, what looked to be noodle rods.

I was seriously undergunned with a 6 ft shakespeare and 6 lb test using a size ten hook and powerbait and a pencil float. Hooked up with one around 6:30. Partner came up with nothing. Also, spent time fighting weeds which were still up. we fished the bottome with crappie rigs and 1.1 Stayed till 9:30 am. Not a bite more.

Came back around dusk and caught nothing. Didn't see anyone pull up any while I was there either. I really think they just turned off in this heat.

Who knows?

Will think about a casting bubble next week with a noodle rod.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The wife and i got out there saturday about 4:45am an left by 8am. I got my limit, she got nada.

All on UL rods, 4# flouro, powerbait with split shot about 18 inches up.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
no report from me but what about an outing at deep quarry in dupage since their opening day has been delayed.

last year will and i caught some MONSTER trout there. WAY bigger than Cook county.

anybody interested?? a few of us already made plans to go. more the merrier!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gither03 said:
Rainking47 said:
The wife and i got out there saturday about 4:45am an left by 8am. I got my limit, she got nada.

All on UL rods, 4# flouro, powerbait with split shot about 18 inches up.
Was your wife using the same set up?
As Frank mentioned, we did catch 3 trout b/t me and my friend. We also went back on Sunday morning and caught one more each between 5am and 9am. This was somewhat a disappointing fall opener.

Brian, you are definitely one of very few who limited out Saturday. Very impressive. :D

I'd be interested in seeing how the dupage fall opener on 11/3 plays out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From Daily Herald (http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=58741):

Unseasonably high water temperatures have forced DuPage County Forest Preserve District to postpone the opening of its trout-fishing season for at least two weeks. The season was scheduled to open Saturday but now has been pushed back until an hour after sunrise Nov. 3. The district offers three lakes stocked with trout: Deep Quarry Lake at the West Branch Forest Preserve near Bartlett; Grove Lake at Wood Dale Grove Forest Preserve near Wood Dale; and Silver Lake at Blackwell Forest Preserve near Warrenville. All three will be closed for fishing until Nov. 3. The district works in partnership with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources to stock the lakes with trout weighing 1 to 1½ pounds.

http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=59293:
"Smart thinkers, those biologists in DuPage County.
Because our local weather patterns resemble those of May instead of a traditional fall season, trout fishing has been put on hold in DuPage County. "

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Augy said:
no report from me but what about an outing at deep quarry in dupage since their opening day has been delayed.

last year will and i caught some MONSTER trout there. WAY bigger than Cook county.

anybody interested?? a few of us already made plans to go. more the merrier!
I am in for sure Augy. I been doing the trout fishing there for the last 5 years spring and fall and yes they stock bigger trout there than most lakes. What part of the quarry do you fish? I usually fish the north cove by the second pier.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.