Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a long question but I would like to hear some input on this.

I have four rod and reel combos, here is what they are and what is on them currently:

6'6" med president spinning reel - w/10pd crystal
6'6" med Revo - 10pd mono
6'6" med Revo - 8pd mono
6'6" Med/hev Johnny Morris - 20pd powerpro. (staying this way for top water)

I also have an ultra light that is set up fine.

I have a top water and weed combo with the jm, now I would like to have finesse combo, crank combo, spinner bait combo and if I am missing something let me know.

My question is how would you set the others up - line and what presentation?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
What`s the action of the rods ?
R all the revos the same speed ?

U will probably suffer from line dig in with the 20lb braid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Culprit said:
What`s the action of the rods ?
R all the revos the same speed ?

U will probably suffer from line dig in with the 20lb braid.
All the actions are listed in the begining (med or med/hev)

Both Revos are the same speed, the JM is high speed. I was hoping to use one Revo for hard baits and spinners, the other for plastics and jigs. Also, I would probably just use the spinning gear for lighter presentations because I do prefer baitcasters. Just not sure how to match the line and pound test with the combos. BTW, both Revos have med action rods. Thanks for the response Culprit, I do respect your opinion as I have been reading around the boards and have seen many of your posts.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Personally, I would not use less than 30lb Power Pro on a baitcaster, since as Culprit said you will get a lot of line dig in and then snap the line. I have been using 30lb Power Pro for my slop fishing.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Maybe use the spinning for jig n grub combos and small crankbaits
Use the 1 revo for crankbaits or spinnerbaits or any faster moving baits if it has a slow to medium tip
Use the other revo for plastic worms or senko type baits or jerkbaits if it has a fast tip.

I would stay with 10-14lb mono or copolymer for the revo thats for the fast moving baits and florocarbon for the plastic and jerkbait reel.

Hope it helps Revo just my opinion though lol

Good luck !

·
Registered
453 Posts
toothdoc said:
Personally, I would not use less than 30lb Power Pro on a baitcaster, since as Culprit said you will get a lot of line dig in and then snap the line. I have been using 30lb Power Pro for my slop fishing.
I am in that same boat, I wouldn't put any braid on under 30 lb. To me it defeats the purpose. I think the 30 lb diameter is 8lb?????????

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
30lb Power Pro is indeed 8lb diameter. With a spinning reel I like 10lb Power Pro which is 2lb diameter. With a spinning reel you don't have to worry about the line digging in though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction. Any other info is still appreciated. I guess I could also re-phrase and re-ask my question, what line for what presentation do you prefer?

Before I knew much (still don't) I had one of my spinning reel's lined with Fluro and hated it, so I have had a negative feeling towards fluro. I am now wondering if I should try it on a baitcaster, thats somewhat the reason for my question. Still would like to hear what you guys do as far as line and presentation. (hopefully help me get over my ill feelings towards fluro)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use flouro on a spinning reel for dropshot and shaky head applications only. IMOA this is the best set-up for a finesse presentation. On my baitcasters I use 10 or 12 lb mono low-vis green. On my heavy rod I use 30 lb power-pro which I mainly have been using for salmon and musky fishing. But, with the heavy rod. I haven't been using it that much. I also have a spinning rig set up with low-vis green for split-shotting. Which i haven't used for a while.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
10 or 12 lb mono low-vis green
I like your style. 8)

Im gonna go ahead and tack a question on here. :? If I wanted to start using a braided line in place of 10lb mono on a baitcaster, would 10lb diameter braid (40lb ?) handle the same or would I want to go to a higher diameter than 40lb/10lb diameter to achieve the same "castability" as the 10lb mono?
This is going to be my first time using braid for anything besides a tip up, and I dont want to end up buying 6 different spools of braided before I figure it out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
IMO baitcasters perform the best with 10-12 lb diameter line. Whether that is mono or braid, I haven't really seen a difference. I have the 8 lb diameter power pro on my calcutta. It has handled quite well. But, I haven't tried it on my corrado's. Why do you need more than 30 lb line?
Going for whales? LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.