Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This could finally qualify me as crazy. Headed out to White Pines yesterday in a driving rainstorm for some C&R trout fishing. My wife said I was nuts. Rain fell so hard on I 88 I almost couldn't see the road & considered turning around.

Stayed the course & got to the park by 9. Sat in the car thinking "Do I really want to do this?" But finally got on my Rain gear, cracked out my UL setup, tied on a size 0 Panther Martin spinner & started casting. Had at least 4 trout follow the retrieve. 2nd cast landed a nice 12 incher. 3rd cast another & same on 4th.

Another guy pulled up & got out of his car. I asked if he was fishing. He answered "yes" & I said I was happy to not be the only crazy person out. With the exception of 1 other guy who fished for a few minutes before giving up, we were the only ones out there.

He was fly fishing with a wooly bugger tied on. After a half hour or so he hooked into a monster. Probably close to 24". Hard to believe they stocked a fish that size. Good thing he had a net.

I walked up stream catching more trout. None were close to the size of his but all were respectable. Some were great fighters.

The rain alternated between pouring & drizzling until 1 when it suddenly stopped & the sun poked out. A day that started out questionable became perfect.

I switched to a black & silver Sonic Roostertail just to see if the trout cared. They didn't. 2 little smallies joined in the fun.

Later still I switched to a willow-bladed Blue Fox with a white trailer. As before, the trout didn't care. They attacked it so aggressively that by the end of the day the trailer was toast. And by the end of the day my total not including smallies was at least 30. I lost count around 25. It was the sort of day you wish wouldn't end.

My hands are stiff. This morning I ordered fingerless Copperfit gloves.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Fish are wet, might as well join them. We have some trout stocking here in NC I should look in to it.

~JOE~

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe: You have plenty of native trout in NC up in the Smokies. The Hazel Creek drainage above Bryson City has enough trout water to keep you busy for the rest of your life. Really beautiful too.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I am familiar with the mountain trout stocking. Apparently there is also a stocking similar to the FPD stocking that is available here. If I can locate when and where that will be another option for me.

~JOE~

edit : just looked it up. The program is canceled this year because the hatchery was flooded by Hurricane Fred and 3/4 of the fish were lost.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy fix - move back to Chicago. No hurricanes.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Can’t do it. I will have to suck it up and enjoy spending less $$ just about across the board, zero traffic issues, no masks, etc.

~JOE~

·
Registered
491 Posts
So white pines has some sort of creek, not a lake. I've never been there. The fish in the pic almost looks like a speckled trout, haven't seen that many spots on a rainbow. Sounds like a nice trip, even in the rain.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bobber - Pine Creek. And you're right - lots of speckles. Maybe a hybrid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are white pines disease resistant?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah. Unfortunately the trout will be gone by the end of this week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts