Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to the wolf river on the 17th. Any one got any tips? I heard the white bass and walleye run are coming soon. what are hot lures for white bass? Also too does anyonknow much about the walleye tactic this time of year?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Where on the wolf river are you going? As Fremont tactics and Winniconne can differ a bit.

In fall the white bass tend to school up a little tighter and deeper than spring. Active schools may be a little harder to find but more concentrated and when you get on one it can be a feeding frensy..

Look for edges flats around river bends that these fish will chase and trap bait fish.

On shallow flats we like throwing 1/4 oz hair jigs tipped with minnows with Red/white seems to be a hot color. Throw upstream and let it drift back experimenting with retreve speed. You can also try this jig with a slip bobber in slower current breaks. Panter Martins and small inline spinners work in these area's also (orange color has worked well for me)..

If fish are deeper wolf river rigs with streamer flies tiped with minnows work well adjusting weight to current conditions. You can also remove the wieght on the river rig and substatute it with a jig for a double rig. (In rocky areas I substute with a timber rock jig to avoid snags. These same deepwater tactics will produce walleyes also.

Always keep your bait moving and keep changing retreve till you find the most active bite. Keep on the move till you find active schools. I've had my best luck on river bends with a shollow flat that has a nice drop next to it.

Most bait shops in the area will have these preriged rigs. You can experiment with small crank baits and zip type lures also.

If your in fremont stop by Larry and Jans resort and pick up some of his custom red and white jigs. They consistanty produce for us and sometimes are the hottest bite.

I usually leave to go up there this upcoming weekend but had to cancell.

Good Luck hope this gives you a starting point.

Let me know where on the river your staying and I might be able to give you more detailed info and areas to try..
Heres a few pic's from spring..

Also fall provides an exellent oppertunnity for nice numbers of big crappies.
You can find them in downed timber along the river deeper water with current breaks and also around bridge pylons with wood...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bite is just starting up there!

Npike hit it right!

I also like oranges & reds but use a bottom leadhead jig
and floating jig for the 3 way rigs.

If tossing bait, keep it lively.

Also watch the depth for the bite, it might be shallow or closer to the bottom.
You might have to count down to find them.

Like mentioned keep changing baits, colors and retrieves.
When you find their button you won't need to change a thing!

We mostly stay near Winneconne and are looking at the
next few weekends, possibly even a day trip.

One extra tip...
bring an electric fillet knife and bags for the fillets!
:D

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Very good info guys. That should really get you started right there. I have only fished the Wolf in the Summer, but have heard much of the same things on how to approach the fish. I remember a Gillepsie show from earlier in the year when he was banging the fish on just a plain hook, minnow, and sinker. Be prepared for lots of boats up there and some not so polite boaters. From first hand accounts I understand it can be a zoo.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, im heading up with rob busse to the fremont area. We are camping on Partridge lake, and we only fish the river. He had been there a few times and had good smallie action in past years. I was there once with him in summer and had a slow couple days. We have never hit any of the WB or Walleye runs, and are excited for this one. Im aware of the insane boaters on the river, I know rob's lil fishin boat got slammed out of the water and onto shore one year by some giant speedboat. I hear that it is usually only bad in the summer, and fall will be a lil less crowded from speedboaters.

If you guys got advice I wanna learn anything I can to increase my chances for WALLEYE and WHITE BASS. Primarily walleye, I think they are more fun. but im excited to fry up some white bass too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.