Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get why Americans hate carp so much. Is there a reason ? They are more common and take bait more readily than bass, they fight harder and are more fun to catch ? Why does everyone talk about killing them?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
They are way overpopulated. I don't think people hate them as much as they just don't target them. They are kind of like rats IMO. No matter how many are bowfished or thrown on the bank, their population will not be dented. I don't target them anymore, but they are certainly a fun fight when I catch one accidentally. I actually see more of a carp movement now with people targeting them and having European style matches.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Carp are good fighters, but they are too easy to catch, ugly as hell and you can't eat them. or at least i wouldnt. They are like rats, they can practically live in sewers. Carp also ruin spawning for alot of our favorite gamefish in lakes and ponds which will piss of any bass angler. In my opinion they are just big mudfish.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I fish for carp, they are fun and easy to catch, and help hold kids interest in fishing, like panfish. I keep them for my friends, and say they say they are quite good.

Probably most of the hatred is derived from the invasive species, like silver/big head carp that do destroy native fishes and other aquatic life. And since a lot of people think they are garbage fish, they do not target them.

And they will hit topwaters- I've seen carp taken on flies and small floating/shallow running cranks. Plus, beauty is in the eye of the beholder- and dependant on how close to closing time it is...

I've heard more about carp fishing clubs the last couple of years too, they're becoming more popular all the time. One of the clubs in Illinois is the Midwest Carp Anglers Association.

·
Registered
472 Posts
As stated in most of the posts carp muddy up the lakes, they root around on the bottom destroying the weeds that the other game fish and minnows use to hide in . They do not readily hit artifical baits. They also multiply like rabbits (ask someone from Austrila about rabbits) and tend to over run the lakes where they live. Granted they pull like a tractor when hooked and I wish more folks would fish for them. Most of the guys that bad mouth carp are only repeating what they were told. As I understand it carp were not native to North American and were introduced by the Europeans, who moved here, as a food souce. I have had smoked carp and it was delicious. Others have told me if the mud vein is removed and the fish prepared properly they taste fine. Alot of the fish we eat now were once considered unedible. Orange Roughfy comes to mind. Out west the trout fisherman concider perch a rough fish. Also alot of folks up north bad moth the smallmouth bass because they eat walleye fry.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Junglejim pretty much summed it up. They are bottom feeders and are considered a rough fish, not a game fish. I realize that in Europe it is an entirely different story. Many of the people that fish for them here, are from Europe.

·
Banned
655 Posts
They force out native species, have the capabilities of immediately altering the ecosystems and watersheds (negatively) in which they get released in, and degrade the water quality (not pollution, but they're PIGS!)

My friend wrote this and he now has a degree in fisheries and conservation management: http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/art ... mpact.html

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Things may be different in Europe, but killing every carp I catch is just part of fishing for me. And if there happens to be a fella with a bucket nearby, he certainly has dibs on it :wink:

I remember being in Wisconsin (known for its proactive aproach to managing its waterways) years ago and seeing parks near rivers and lakes that had "roughfish dumpsters". In certain cases you had to toss the fish rather than release it. We could probably use something like that at Beck, Busse, Chicago River, NSC, etc.

And then theres Delevan. World class fishery since they drained it and hauled off a couple hundred truckloads of dead carp. :D

I have recently been thinking of getting into bow-fishing and cleaning up Beck "vigilante style".

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I don't think anyone can argue against the true fight that carp can give. If anyone on this board treated the carp as they do the beloved bass, we would have alot more carp posts. The problem has been already acknowledged in the replies to this post. Carp are everywhere and it really isn't all that to catch one that is generally larger then most bass we target. I am also with the crowd that believes if the carp were eliminated, the fishing world would be a better place. There are times that I focused on them in the past, primarily during slower bass months, especially August. Although I knew I was putting a small dent in the carp population I would gladly sell/give my catch to those interested or throw them back in the water if I hadn't thrown them into the woods behind me first.

Here is an example of what was to be had at the base of the dam in Lyons when fishing from a canoe with hard shell crayfish. We had a great time out there and ended up donating the fish to those interested in taking them. Better in someone's frying pan then back in the river.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing that I find funny is that you try to kill the carp. You could kill thousands of them and they will never be gone. A single carp lays over a million eggs. The only way to get rid of them is to poison the entire lake and even then either someone will stock them back in or a few will survive. I personally only fish for fun , so I don't really care about this "rough fish" nonsense. The only thing I care about is having fish that bite frequently. I don't really care that the carp are killing off the bass , because bass are small , usually under 5 pounds and don't fight as hard as say a 20 lb carp which is common.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
vodka said:
The thing that I find funny is that you try to kill the carp. You could kill thousands of them and they will never be gone. A single carp lays over a million eggs. The only way to get rid of them is to poison the entire lake and even then either someone will stock them back in or a few will survive. I personally only fish for fun , so I don't really care about this "rough fish" nonsense. The only thing I care about is having fish that bite frequently. I don't really care that the carp are killing off the bass , because bass are small , usually under 5 pounds and don't fight as hard as say a 20 lb carp which is common.
Any Fish fun to catch on hook and line qualifies as a sport fish, Carp are your fish Congratulations but don't bash other species. Bass are AMERICAS fish And your not going to change the way people think about carp Trust me I've tried. And this is coming from someone who respects even sucker fish. The new up and coming generation has more of a appreciation of carp. But the generation primarily fishing now were brought up to despise them.. So be patient and things will fall into place. but in the mean time lets just see your amazing carp catches! Show us some nice carp reports and people will get into a mood where there like hey... i want to try something different today and go toss out for carp. Like wash husky i was also brought up on carp fishing as well as cat fishing. Carp are a phenomenal specimen And great to FISH FOR!! But doesn't mean you have to take shots at bass... i Can give you an argument about bass that'll make them sound better then carp.. do i no.. because, Any Fish fun to catch on hook and line qualifies as a sport fish And Anglers have there preference on what there Favorite fish is. So Enjoy it !! and lets see some reports.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.