Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed there was a real nice looking lake a little south and east of Heidecke Lake. Found it searching Google Earth. Braidwood Lake is the name, I think. Anybody from hear ever go there. Possibly give a run down on its productivity? Yet another lake I wouldn't mind trying (maybe).

Thanks for any info on Braidwood.

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
I put a reply to your question on the other thread. Braidwood is not quite what it used to be. Your best bet if you like exploring a bit is to check out Mazonia Lakes which is right next to it.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
I fished Braidwood a few years back from shore. It's a cooling lake and is popular with boaters - especially for largemouth bass from what I remember. But like Matt says - it ain't what it used to be, from what i've heard the past few years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Hitting LaSalle Lake tomorrow morning with the boat. Just grabbed a couple dozen crawlers from yard. Just in case. Taking the advise Ive received and will give it a try. Got a few other things I wanna try out. Will post anything worth posting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FishinMatt,
Where were them bass in your avatar caught? I could only dream of catching a bass that size. Dont mean to pry, but nice fish! Had to of been in Texas or Georgia or something right?

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Basszilla said:
FishinMatt,
Where were them bass in your avatar caught? I could only dream of catching a bass that size. Dont mean to pry, but nice fish! Had to of been in Texas or Georgia or something right?
I wish :lol: Dupage County Park. Its my buddies spot so I can't disclose the location, but it is public and open to anyone.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Matt is right about Braidwood. It used to be great for bass back in the 90s but it has really gone down hill over the last few years. All you have to do is look at the tournament results for Braidwood over the last few years as evidence. The problem is the loss of vegetation. Illinois Valley Bassmasters has started sinking more habitat for the young bass to have a better chance at surviving. Bassmasters did a story on the restoration in one of the last few issues. Now if you are interested in catfish, give Braidwood a try.

The lake is on the rebound for bass. One of my buddies was out there last summer and had a pretty successful day. My first club tournament of the year is there on March 15th. I'll let you know the results. Good fishing

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
DPRFisherman said:
a guy at bps told me muskie fishing is pretty good there
My first fish at Braidwood was actually a tiger musky in 1994. I have not heard of one caught there in quite some time though. Same with the walleyes, hybrids, etc. They just seemed to vanish many years ago.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Braidwood is a mudhole. The past few times my dad, brother, and I have gone it has produced only dinks few and far between.

There was a recent story published in the new Bass Masters Magazine about restoring it to what it used to be. The article pretty much saying partnerships between Excelon, DNR and the Illinois Valley Bassmaster's Club are helping the restoration. Also, helping the comeback are 1000's of fingerlings being dropped in the lake by DNR and PVC structures were placed around the lake.

Let's all hope this proves transformational. The lake and it's shoreline has incredible potential.

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
The last few years have been dreadful. Most of the Braidwood reports this Spring have been positive though. There are still a small amount of 3 and 4lb fish and some of stocked fish are finally getting up to 14-15''s. As long as they don't have any major fish kills and get some kind of recruitment with spawning fish, the next few years should be good. Judging from what I have read this year I think I will actually put the boat on it next March. It used to be a ritual for me but it has been a few years now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.