Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any lakes in WI and MI where you can stay and rent a boat for a week and not have to take out a second mortgage? I know about a place on the Chippewa Flowage up in northern WI, but I just want to see if I can tap into the vast knowledge on this site to find a place. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
ClancyWiggum said:
Does anyone know of any lakes in WI and MI where you can stay and rent a boat for a week and not have to take out a second mortgage? I know about a place on the Chippewa Flowage up in northern WI, but I just want to see if I can tap into the vast knowledge on this site to find a place. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!! :D
I haven't been up there in years. But my dad used to take the family to Lost Land and Teal Lake in Hayward WI, and I remember seeing a lot of "resorts" on both of those lakes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am definitely not set on Hayward. Anywhere within a 7 hour drive of Chicago will work. It also has to have some good fishing as well. :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pk said:
I haven't been up there in years. But my dad used to take the family to Lost Land and Teal Lake in Hayward WI, and I remember seeing a lot of "resorts" on both of those lakes.
A couple years ago we were at Ghost Lake, the smalles of the 3 there in Hayward (Lost Land/Teal). Teal was the priciest, and Lost Land was still resonable. Personally, I was not impressed with Ghost.

How about up by Lac Du Flamebeau? Went there to Hideaway Haven resort, and it was really nice. They're the only resort on the lake, it was clean, and fishing was good. If I remember, the cabin we were in could sleep 6, and it was $600.00 for the week. Boat and motor were extra, and the drawback was there is no public boat launch.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Rainbow Bay Resort on Benoit Lake in Burnett County near Spooner. Real reasonable rates with a free 14' boat and motor rentals. Super quiet lake with little boat traffic. Off season their prices are even better (under $400 for a week! with boat but not motor). Super nice couple with two kids, used to live and work near DC but got sick of the rat race and have managed to live the dream a little.

The lake has decent fishing, but not trophy fishing like the Chip (I pulled a couple 36" Pike out of there in terrible fishing weather in May of this year). But there are other lakes nearby that have very quality Pike and Musky fishing that are a bit off the map and they would likely allow you to take one of their boats to those nearby lakes if you ask and have a trailer ball on your car. Other lakes include Big McKenzie (Musky/Pike), Middle McKenzie (Pike/BAss) and others. All have LMB's ready to hit a senko. If you're like me and just want a half way decent fishing trip away from all the Flatlanders and Minnecrapolians, then this place is pretty good. If you want trophy fishing, go to the Chip or Turtle or the like.

You should be able to google them. There are not many small places with reasonable rates left up North.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

I know the place I have been to up in Hayward is $1,100 for the week which included the boat, 25hp gas motor, trolling motor, fish finder, and live well. The boat also has 3 padded swivel seats on it so it was more than just a row boat. The main thing I remember though was that I didn't catch any fish, but that was back in my worm and bobber days. I know there are fish on the Chip, but I am mostly a bass fisherman now and don't know if that's the place I should be going for bass. I know they have great musky fishing, but I don't have any of the gear for that and won't be getting any for just a week. Anyone know about the bass fishing prospects on the Chip? I have done some internet research, but not much out there. Just wondering if anyone else knows more about it. Also, any more tips on places to go are appreciated!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Lake Owen (or Owen Lake) near Hayward is a good smallie lake. Don't know of any resorts though there are campgrounds. LMB's are everywhere up there, it hardly matters where you go. The season is shorther up there so I doubt you're going to hook into too many 5+ lb'ers, at least thats what I've heard from some locals.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I second the Turtle Flambeau Flowage.

Now that the Walleye numbers are on the decline due to tribal spearing, angler harvests, and the fact that the flowage is aging, the Smallmouth Bass populations and sizes have sky-rocketed in recent years.

Prime Smallie water and it's everything you could ask for.

But with the recent dry seasons and the late-summer & fall draw-down, water levels will be the pisser..... Very low..... :(

andrew

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After the recent post about the water levels at the TFF I might need to look at other places. :? It sounds like a good place, but I don't know if I want to deal with the horribly low water levels, which will probably only get worse by the time I would get up there in early Ocotber. I still appreciate all the tips though. :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.