Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hitting up an lakes in WI for the opener??? Yami and I are leaving Friday afternoon for 2 days on Delavan and 1 on Geneva. The water is still really cold up there so we are hoping that it will warm up some more this week and get the fishing mocving.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hell yes. I cruised around on geneva for a few minutes sunday, and it was really cold. Much colder than deep. I dont have a thermometer so i couldnt tell you exactly. Totally gonna hit up delevan for a while. My back up plan if its too windy is como. (That 12' boat gets crazy on geneva sometimes! :lol: ) Cant wait do try some trolling for pike, and trying to find some nice bass spots. Goodbye Illinois!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'll be up there with 2glasseyes for the weekend, it's going to be great! My goal is to land my first pike of the year.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see some of you are taking advantage of the Opener. The weather is shaping up nice, lets just hope the water temps make a steady rise and turn them fishies on.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Any of you guys that troll for the pike or walleye, I've got a question for you. Whats your set up? Line, leader, oz. wieghts for different set ups. Rapalas vs live bait? Lindy style rigs? Right now Im just getting things together and thought I might get some pointers on the set ups for my gear. Im giddy about this weekend!

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For Delavan, I like to look for the weedline. I heard the weeds are coming up slow, so there should be action in 5-8 feet. It is suppossed to be breezy, so the fish should not be spooky during the day. I like to troll stickbaits in this depth. You will occasionally pull through weed clumps, but that is part of the game. With the cool water, I think the bite may be good for them. For livebait I like to fish deeper 15-25 pulling suckers off the bottom. Normally a slip sinker rig w/ a 3/8th or 1/2 ounce egg sinker above a barrel swivel is good. Tie on a leader 18-24 long and sometimes it is good to add a small spinner and few beads above the hook but it is not necessary. Move the boat as slow as possible and cast artificials up the weedline to pass the time. Sometimes you will get follows only to have the fish move off the bait and go down and slam the sucker. This guy did that to me last opener and about gave me a heart attack :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
I troll primarily for Pike up north. And like Matt, I love to drop a sucker under a float while casting spinners, bucktails, spoons. I'll just troll till I get a strike then circle back and either troll by again or start casting with the sucker dropped. Last year (third week in may) I got my biggest walleye on a black willow leaf spinner (?) and my biggest pike or musky on a sucker that I was dragging while drifting and casting. (didn't get the pike boated, but it was massive and very brown, so may well have been a musky; i try not to think about it, the wife was netting and freaked out when she saw it :cry: )

I just got some more bionic bucktails and a few super shads for this season so will se how it goes in a few weeks. I'll be on a new lake this year with tons of contour and cabbage that will hopefully be coming up good by then.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Leaders are a good idea if you are targeting larger pike! I use a braided line 30# and am not all that responsible about putting a leader on. I should, but haven't lost a pike yet because of a line break :D But I've been lucky that way too! Have you trolled for pike or targeted pike before? I am hooked on pike now! The strike is powerful! Really getss the blood pumpin.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the suckers, I normally don't go with a leader. I hook them through the back, so I don't waste much time on the hook set. When I see a bite I stop the trolling motor and walk to the back of the boat. I reel up until I feel the fish then set it. Most of the time they are hooked on the side of the mouth. I use 30 lb Fireline normally for this. I do use a short leader for artificials, because the big boys will take the big cranks from you. I have even had them go straight through the leader before.

I can't believe we are going tommorrow. The weather looks shitting for fishing crusing bass in the channels, but great for pike casting/trolling and great for fishing jerkbaits on the flats :p East winds usually suck, but we will make the most of it.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yami Master said:
Matt you got to admitt I take great pictures...I remember that HAWASAURUS
That is awesome that so many of you are getting out. No problem sharing tips, that is what this site is for. This is going to be a LONG day of work. Can't wait to hit the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.