Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a few hours out there tossing buzzbaits. NO WIND so it seemed perfect for topwater. Unfortunately the bass didn't agree. Nothing - not one blowup. Also, first time I've been there this year when there weren't any boaters out. Must be the heat.

Around 5:00 I got another huge birds nest. Can't figure out why this keeps happening. I've stripped the line off almost all the way down to the backer but it doesn't seem to help. I sat down on the folding stool I bought a couple years ago and spent a half hour working on the tangle & knots. Astonishingly, I got it all out. Really remarkable considering it's 8 lb braid & my old eyes almost can't make it out.

I ordered new braid (10 lb this time) and will replace what's on the reel when it comes.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Possibly line twist. Try unspooling 100 yards in a grassy area and reeling it back in. Should work the same as trolling bare line behind a boat.

~JOE~

·
Registered
449 Posts
It could be just the weather - I went out on Monday and had one of the best days this year, with everything smashing everything. Tried it again on Wednesday, in oppressive heat, and the fish were much less cooperative. Re: birds nest - you throw buzzbait on 8 lb braid on a baitcaster?

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope - spinning reel. I had to give up baitcasters due to arthritis in my thumb.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Nope - spinning reel. I had to give up baitcasters due to arthritis in my thumb.
Wow so light of line. It may not last as long and more pricey but throw something like nanofil if going light in the 8lb to 14lb range . Braid is too irratating under like 15lbs. That or throw invisix 8 to 10lbs.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ski: You might be right. I have 10 lb Fluoroclear on this reel's other spool & don't have these problems. As I said, I'm moving to 10 lb braid. Also changing from Spiderwire to PowerPro. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll go heavier still.

FYI - my buddy has 6 lb braid on a Shimano & hasn't complained.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Not as frequently as with baitcasters or level winds but it happens. I've had it happen at least 4 times over several years probably due to operator error.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts