Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finished the move just in time b4 the snowstorm really hit last Saturday. Still unpackin' a few boxes but the house is really starting to look like a home. Lookin' forward to exploring Wonder Lake when the ice gets thicker or better yet, when it thaws 8) !

Gettin' an itchy bail trigger finger, though, and thinking open water fishing the Fox may be my best bet this weekend w/ above freezing temps. I know live bait or ultra-slow jig presentations are my best bet, but what am I looking for... 'Eyes, pannies, bass, pike... eddies, deep holes, current... where can I fish? McHenry dam (if it's open during winter, anyone know?), other dams, bridges, feeder creeks, discharges... had my DPR Winter routine down to a science but I don't want to start exploring blindly on new water during December... Spring is a different story when I have more daylight & can feel my fingers. Thanks in advance for any help, and as always, good fishing.

Alex

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Down my way, the Fox river bite consists of damns and walleyes this time of year. Basically from the damn wash down to a couple hundred yards downstream. Waders are nice but not necessary in most spots. Simple jig and minnow combo in holes and eddies is what works. Out by Yorkville, there are really nice fish taken every year. I would assume the bite would be somewhat similar up North by you. Tried it many years ago once with no luck. My brother-in-laws Dad does it with regularity though, as has had some really impressive catches over the years. Considering the open water options, it is a pretty good choice IMO.

553 Posts
AL-Quatics said:
Spring is a different story when I have more daylight & can feel my fingers. Thanks in advance for any help, and as always, good fishing.
That's exactly how I feel about fishing in the winter. Well I don't have any tips on where to fish the Fox River, all I want to say is that I can't wait to see reports from you again. Good luck with your new house. :? :) :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.