Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back Sunday from my Wolf River trip up to Fremont. The fishing turned out to be pretty good despite some tough conditions out there. My uncle and I left for Fremont, Wisconsin Friday night and fished most of the day Saturday and for a few hours Sunday morning before heading back. I spent most of the time fishing for White Bass which are in the middle of their spring run. Between my uncle and I we probably caught about 60 to 70 in the two days. They are all over the river in May, but we normally fish in Fremont in the spring because we have had a lot of success there. In the fall we tend to move around to a lot more areas along the river for walleye and crappie. I was mainly using a Wolf River rig which keeps your presentation slightly off the bottom or a 3/8th ounce jig tipped with a minnow or a gulp plastic. I did have a sturegon on the first day that got off after about 10 minutes. It would have been cool to get a photo of the fish. I only got him to the surface once, but our net was nowhere near big enough to land him. I caught a few other random fish during the trip, but the most of them were stripers. It was a fun trip and I'm looking forward to heading back there in October for eyes, crappie, and some more stripers. Here's a few pics I took.

The average sized white bass for the two days.

Downtown Fremont

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nice pictures and report.
Always fun chasing whites on the wolf...

I enjoy October on the wolf also.. always seems to be a great time for a mixed bag of fish up there.. If the whites aren't in full swing you usually can pick up some nice catches of eye's or crappie..

Where do you stay when your up there?

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like it up there in the fall. It's less crowded and you can catch a lot of crappie and eyes. I normally stay at Gala downstream of Fremont, but I've stayed at Larry and Jans and Jellystone too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
We've been staying at larry and jans over the past few years..
Yes it's nicer in the fall with out the crowds
That's why we usually go up a few weeks earlier in spring and avoid the big crowds usually last few days in april...

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
That sounds like a great getaway. Not bad on the numbers there as well. Thanks for sharing in your trip!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hey, NPIKE!

Nice Leinenkugel's pint glass, I have the full set. Got them at Blackwood's restaurant in Minnesota a few years back when we drove through on our way back from Lac Des Mille Lacs.

Sorry to thread jack, great report and pics brother, glad you got time on the water, sounded like a fun trip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.