Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold fronts, Cloudy cold rainy days, falling water temps usually shut the early part of the white bass run down. Our expectations were not high as these were the conditions we were faced with.

While it never was an aggresive bite. Once you got on a pattern it was a consistant bite that with work put some decent numbers in the boat.

We got on the water Thursday about 1pm it was cloudy and in the mid 50's. The river was higher than usual and current was strong. River rigs needed an 1.5 oz to 2 oz weight to keep them down. Typically cold front pushes them deeper but we choose to work shallow current breaks with 1/4 oz jigs tiped with minnows opposed to casting rigs with bowling ball size weights on them.

We worked some area's in Fremont and got on about 10 in an 1.5 hrs. size was nice but we wanted to find a more aggressive bite.

After running up and down river with little to show for our efforts. We decided to focus on the part of the river right in Fremont. With an hr of daylight we picked up another 8 in town.

Friday we set up shop on an area we had success the day before. My son had the early hot hand and was outfishing my partner and I at a 2 to 1 ratio.

After stubbornly trying to find a more productive presentation. We all converted to the same jig my son was using a custom 1/4oz hair jig, (white jig head and red hair that was made by Larry the Resort owner)

On and off rain, wind and temps in the 40's made for a difficult day but we still managed 50 some fish before being forced off the water.

On Saturday while cloudy, temps were up and fish were cooperating . We got on about 60 + fish in a few hrs and things looked promising till the winds started ripping thru the area. The combination of wind and current even with 2 anchors off the front made it impossible for us to stay on our spot. After a long lunch my partner and I headed out solo as my son was sick and couldn't join us. We managed to boat another 30+ fish including a sm walleye and bonus crappie in a few hrs even with the young gun slinger in sick bay.
My son managed to come out for a photo-op with 2 coolers of just under 100 fish.

Sunday morning the sky's opened up and looked to be a perfect day. My son was still under the weather so we wraped it up for the weekend and headed home in the morning.

Gave me a chance to dry the boat and gear out by getting home early.

I really think this years run is going to be one of the best. If you get a chance to get out there over the next 3 weeks when it peaks. You could be catching 200 + fish a day...

NPIKE

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lip_Yanker wrote:
Nice haul NPIKE! Love the white bass when they're running like that.
The thing is this was early before the peak and during a cold front with limited time on the water.
Things are really going to be picking up and the bite will be Red Hot over the next 3 to 4 weeks. IMHO this will be the best spring run in years great time to bring a kid up there...

NPIKE

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice job Arvid. Whites are always a blast to catch in open or hard water. You guys got a nice mess of whites there. :D I'll be heading up to the Wisonsin River on the 21st and 22nd for there white bass run.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments guys...

Jason Wrote:
Would love to have some more Wolf River reports.
Sound like a few are heading up there this spring I'm sure will see some great reports as I've heard the action has really picked up since we left.

Jaybomber 354 wrote:
so after that haul are u having everyone over for dinner or wat? lol
My buddy took 1/2 then I gave 1/2 of mine to my longtime fishing partner DAD who no longer make's it on the boat but still loves his fish...

But there is the annual 4th July FISH FRY at the house. :lol: And I'm sure there's still some left for few more dinners :wink:

NPIKE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.