Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- Me and my stepbrother are looking for a trolling motor. We are in college at the time and don't have much cash. We have 125 max to spend and we'd like to get the motor, and everything we need to legally operate it. If anyone has anything please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I dont have one. But you mean you want a troller a battery and a battery box and bungee cords if you want everything to keep it legal. strap it down so if you capsize it doesnt end on the bottom. Maybe a fire extinguisher too im not sure

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, :shock:. Lets put it this way. I want a trolling motor and battery. As long as I won't get in trouble for renting a boat somewhere and putting my motor on it. Whatever is what most people do, I'll go with something along the lines of that.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread, but you only need an extinguisher if you have a gas tank/gas motor onboard.
Bucketmouth is selling a good trolling motor at a decent price, but I believe it's a bow mount. Bass Pro has some good motors for cheap....

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
It just keeps adding up. At a minimum you will need the trolling motor, battery, battery box, and battery charger. Bungee cord can be used to secure the battery box in place when you are on rentals. BPS does have some models in the hundred dollar range, but it will be hard to stay in your $125 budget with the other items you will need.

BTW- Batteries can be purchased just about anywhere. BPS has them, but you can get them at places like Wal-Mart too.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I can see it being done with all new stuff for $210, all inclusive. You may want to save up and just get new stuff. Watch BPS for when they run the sale on the 45 lb thrust Prowler for $99. Thats a great deal.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
I got a trolling motor at a flea market a couple of years ago for 10 bucks. Baut it didn't last long.

I'll bet you can scour Cragislist or ebay and find a decent used one for quite cheap. You will of course need a battery and a charger, and a box. Box is 10 bucks; charger can be about $35.00 (maybe look for a used one), and the battery will be more expensive - closer to $65.00.

But look around - i'll bet with some hard looking and perhaps kindness of others, you might be able to get setup without going over budget.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
FYI if you go to an Interstate Battery store, ask about their blems. They sell the blems for $25 and they're not bad batteries at all! Try em out, that's what my cheap ass uses! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a few other questions, keep in mind in trying to get the best for the cheapest since I don't have a ton of cash. What else do I need besides the motor? I know a battery and a battery charger. I want a battery that will last 9-12 hours without a charge. I'm trying to get a motor with 30-36lb thrust if that matters at all. Does anyone have any recommendations for what battery I should that's not junk and a battery charger. What's best for the money is what I'm looking for. If something is crappy and dirty cheap, i'd rather have something a little more expensive with better quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.