Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I went to the WWD this morning just before 6am. It was still pitch dark, and early enough that I had to park in the residential area and jump the ropes. It was pretty cold at that hour, around 10 degrees. Of course, I was the only one there at that hour. I had two rigs and was throwing 3" and 5" senkos. There was no interest in the 3". I had a violent surface strike when I was pulling in my first cast with the 5", and it actually broke/cut my line. I never got a look as it was still very dark. I suppose I could have botched the knot, had a fray, or he got me on the rocks. I missed a strike two casts later, pulling it out of his mouth when I set the hook. Two casts after that I finally hooked up and landed. It was a LMB, around 14 or 15, and it did some nice surface dancing as I hauled him in. I got him on shore, and as I pulled him out, my line snapped a couple inches above the hook. I still got the fish and got my hook out, since it landed right at my feet. That made me start thinking I've got some brittle line. Time to change that out I suppose.

I had one more missed strike. The action completely died after the sun came all the way up. Like a big dummy, I didn't protect my feet nearly well enough from the cold temperatures...I had some utility boots on with thermal socks, but that wasn't nearly enough to do the trick. By 7:40 I was pretty miserable and decided to call it quits. As I left, I took a good look from atop the railing, and honestly didn't spot any real quality fish...lots of small gills right by the grates, some really small bass hanging back a bit from there. That's about it.

I was dying to get out and get a fix as I haven't been out since September. While I only landed one fish, that should still satisfy my addiction for a little while.

-bartmandude

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the report. I went there yesterday myself and it was so darn cold that I only lasted a little over an hour. There was so much steam rising off the water that it was hard to see anything but the numbers of fish there have definitely decreased quite a bit.

It definitely sounds like it is time for a line change.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I throw senkos year-round...it's my confidence bait. It still works well in cold weather since you can fish them so slow. I agree about sun-up rootpro6. I've always had the best luck when I'm the first one there and it's still dark. I also try to stay very quiet, and stand back pretty far from the shoreline. Those fish are just so easily spooked with all the fishing pressure that place gets. One other thing I noticed is that the place was more shallow than I can ever remember seeing it...remarkable considering how it was completely flooded beyond belief just a few weeks ago.

I wish there were more open-water options for winter as I'm just not into ice-fishing. I was at Dicks yesterday, and met a store employee who mentioned Braidwood Lake, which apparently is a cooling lake out south. He said it doesn't open till sometime in February, but that it is a great winter option, as the water apparently stays very warm. Has anyone every tried that place?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
When I was at the WWD yesterday, the water was the lowest that I have ever seen it. Like you said, it was quite surprising considering it was the highest I had ever seen it just 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bigrain, I can't answer your question about live bait, as so far I haven't used it at the WWD. I actually rarely use it at all.

Rootpro, if you know of any good open water locations on the DPR that you don't mind sharing, I'd be forever in your debt. The WWD is pretty far from me...its just the only open water location I know.

-b.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
not sure where you are located but the chicago river is open water you could hit as well.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
That must have felt good hauling in a dancing bass this time of year. Well done my friend. Thanks for the report.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.