Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Faired well at the discharge today. Fished 11-2:30. Minnows haven't worked to well past couple outings, especially with the bigger bass, so switched to crawlers. Started to work with a split shot but worked better weightless. Bite turned on when the skies cleared up and the sun was shining. Go figure. :roll:

Most of the morning fishermen left and that gave me the opportunity to work the entire east bank and spot fish the bigger bass. picked up about a dozen bass. Big fish was about 16 inches and of course I messed up the photo.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Well done Augy. Dude call me next time you head out..i wanted to go today but figured no one was going :roll:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice job bro !

its about time someone figured out those bigger bass.

well done. :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Way to go Augy! I can't wait to go back out to the WWD and try some nightcrawlers myself. Maybe this afternoon. 8)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Nice Fish!, I'll have to only bring worms next time. Hey Augy, did you catch a bunch of the paranha like gills in between the nice bass?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only one bluegill on the end of the line. trick was to find the big bass and throw it about 5 feet ahead of them in the direction their facing then twitch twitch and let the weightless worm slowly fall when you get their attention. i was able to avoid the panfish because i was able to sight fish and pull it away from the gills. but sometimes when a gill took the tail of the crawler and swam around, the big bass would follow. at this point i'd snap the crawler out of the panfish and the big bass would take the worm. caught 3 big bass this way. only on one occasion the worm settled to the bottom and the bass slurped it up. usually the piranha panfish would swarm the worm before the worm could even hit bottom.

i made sure the entire hook was covered by the worm except for the slightly exposed hook point. i think this made the biggest difference. i also switched back to 4lb vanish and i'm sure that has made a big difference as well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I went to the WWD this morning armed with some crawlers. It was a cold morning and there was only 2 other guys there when I arrived at 10:30. I could see those big bass so I tried to target them. The problem was that every time the nightcrawler hit the water the pirrahna's, I mean panfish swarmed the bait. It was real tough to keep the crawler away from the panfish. After awhile I finally hooked a bigger bass but set the hook too fast and pulled the worm out of his mouth. He went after it again and this time I waited a little bit longer, but again pulled the hook out of his mouth.

Long story short, I didn't land a bass. But I know that they are interested in the nightcrawlers. I did end up catching a bunch of bluegills though.

One other thing, I did see Mr. Pike there briefly this morning as well. 8)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Good to hear that you got them interested with crawlers! You sure are lucky to have wednesdays open all the time. Anyway, where were you fishing (The grate, east or west bank)?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I fished the north bank. From the discharge down to about half-way to the creek.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a good pair of polarized glasses is a must to sight fish. Mornings are harder to see with the sun so low on the horizon. a calm windless day and midday sun would be ideal to sight fish the wwd.

i got all my big bass between 12-2:30 when the sun was up and the winds had calmed down.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I always use polarized glasses when I fish. I have one pair for cloudy days and a different pair for sunny days. It was cloudy and that does make it a little more difficult to sight fish. I left around noon, so maybe I missed the prime time that Augy is referring to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts