Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met my brother-in-law at Lee's and picked up some minnows. Got to the discharge at about 10:15. No one was there when we arrived, but I saw something that totally surprised me. There was a large northern, about 30" long, swimming in front of the discharge. Here I am with a L action pole spooled with 6# line thinking how am I going to catch this guy. Well long story short, he didn't want any minnows and eventually swam away. About an hour later he was back. This time I found a Krocodile spoon in my brother-in-law's tackle box and tried that, but again nothing. :( A little while later I saw another smaller one in the discharge area. The second one was about 24" long.

I was totally surprised to see them there. I've never seen northerns there before. Anyway, we caught the usual small LMB and some panfish on minnows. I think that I saw Gither getting there on our way out. It was a beautiful day to be fishing. Not too often can you spend a November day fishing in only shirt sleeves in Chicago. 8)

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Very nice. I really wanted to get out today myself. Besides the dishcharge, Fox, and the big pond, open water fishing is starting to get scarce.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
good to know doc. i'll be heading out there for an early thanksgiving day fishing outing at the wwd.

what did your buddy catch that northern on mrb?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that they like minnows, but those guys that I saw today weren't interested. That is a nice little northern that your buddy caught there MrB. It was about the size of the smaller one I saw today.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Doc,I told u to bring a bucktail !

·
Registered
341 Posts
Doc, I think that was me. lol. I saw two guys walking towards the bridge, but had no idea that was you and your brother in law.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gither, I saw you walking down toward the creek when we were walking toward the bridge. I called out your name, but I didn't think that you heard me. How did you do?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Oh yes, there are certainly northern by the wwd. They are a bitch to catch though. Larger minnows such as roaches can sometimes do the trick.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, it sounds like you were doing bette than we were right before we left.

·
Registered
136 Posts
toothdoc said:
Gither, I saw you walking down toward the creek when we were walking toward the bridge. I called out your name, but I didn't think that you heard me. How did you do?
it seems we can have a party there? sometime maybe

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
theres always a party over there big and sometimes your actually with people you know. place can be a zoo.

how the crowd there frank?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts