Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the WWD this morning before sunrise. I was there from about 6:40 till roughly 10. I had to park in the residential area and walk in, as it was still roped off. I almost wiped out a few times on my way down the trail since it was so dark, and I kept slipping on ice patches.

All in all it was a pretty good day. The fish were active, i'm guessing its something to do with this little warm front we're enjoying today. In total, I caught 5 LMB. One was on my 2nd cast. The first two were caught on a a 1/16 oz. gopher mushroom head jig with a half "Zero" plastic worm (a tip from the October "In-Fisherman"). Those two were small, maybe 10" and 8". The last three were caught on green 3" senkos rigged texas style (i just learned they made little 3" ones). One of them was a really nice fish, easily the best LM I've gotten there so far. I'm guessing he was about 16" and really fat. I was using a really small Flueger President ultralight, so it was a really fun fight. He took quite a bit of line, and I had to ratchet the drag up quite a bit to horse her in. The other two were probably around 12".

There were some hijinx. I was sight fishing,walking the shore, trying to watch this big bass and stepped right off the ledge into the water. I also managed to spill a tray of tackle in the water and had to step in to pick it up. Funny though how a few fish can erase any and all frustrations.

Seemed like a good day for all. There were people pulling plenty of bluegill and small bass on worms and crawlers from up on top of the tunnel.

God I needed that...I've had some major fishin fever lately and no time whatsoever to fish. I was about ready to start practicing in my bathtub like that other guy ;-)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pat...i'll tell you what. With the cold front that came in today, I sure am glad I picked yesterday! I almost put it off for a day. I can't believe the change in temp. It was 48 degrees yesterday when I left the WWD around 10am. By contrast, it was 14 degrees by me when I got up this morning. I would have to guess that this cold front would even effect the fish at the WWD, despite the warm water. I'll be interested to see if any of the WCF crew went out to the WWD today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.