Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WWD as we have known it is dead. :(

I went there this afternoon for about an hour to check things out. The only fish there were carp and suckers. I don't know exactly what happened other than the water being about 3 or 4 feet higher than normal, but there was a huge kill. I saw dead bass, northern, walleye and tons of panfish. I tried fishing while I was there and I think that this is the first time that I have gotten skunked while there. The water is down from when rootpro was there the other day, but something else had to cause the fish kill besides the high water. Anyway, here are some pics showing how high the water was and some of the dead fish.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The big thaw must have overloaded their "purification" system. I believe they may be allowed to dump untreated during big rains. :(

That pic of the northern breaks my f-ing heart. :cry:

·
Registered
497 Posts
what the hell that really makes me mad i wanted to get out there this sunday ........... me and my cousin and brother wanted to get out there for the first time this year but idk now i might just give it a go anyway ill see thanks for the update tho tooth

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
When I heard about all the dead fish, I wasn't surpised, this has happened there many times in the past. I don't know why though. Theres nuttin we can do about it though. I was suprised to see the dead northern in the water though, I use to usually just see walleye and bluegills. :?

Lets hope it doesn't happen again...

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
you have to remember that the wwd is not an enclosed pond. its connected to salt creek. i bet once the water started to go bad, most of the fish migrated down stream to cleaner water. it's way colder but hey, i'd rather breath than freeze right!?

my theory is that the dead fish you see around that area were probably flushed out from deep within the tunnel. otherwise, i think we'd see way more dead fish laying on the bottom. however, it's just my theory.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well that sux,most likely had to release untreated water like Rudy said and I agree with Augy that most fish probably moved into the creek and survived. They will be back eventually I hope atleast by november :)

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Guys don't worry. I honestly think you will still see fish coming back and in full force in about a week. Maybe a little longer but it should be good for next month if we decide to have another tourney there. And dam that water went down fast from when I was there on Monday. Atleast 2 feet it dropped. I wonder what happened with out friend the famous goldfish that has been caught numberous times and has been there atleast 3 years?
I'm sure there are a ton of huge fish still under those grates that are NOT carp.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I've been seeing that kill off for many years. For some reason everytime there are floods the fish in there just die. Thats nothing I've seen 30+ walleyes dead just like that one. I'm telling ya there something about that water that comes out of the WWD. You can smell it.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
thats really Terrible to See for anyone not just anglers. Another the Dump off has to be a Reason like someone stated above But also You have to take into account how Much Salt etc. We've used for the snow the Rain Melted a lot of it And all the runoff Is Going into our Waterways i think that's terrible How bad The Fish get it when Basically What we Do in our Lives Are Effecting them in there's. the Car oil, Salt And So many other chemicals that all eventually get washed into our waters ways some way or another it's terrible. Although it's tough to see the Bright side is It wasn't any bigger then it was. Still a big shame though...

there goes my my next two weeks...... :(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Jaybomber354 said:
yea just cant believe they just die off like that it not right im gunna head up there this weekend hopefully some fish will be back
Check out the pool that is about 100 yards down from the WWD and work shadraps. :wink:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
100 yards down
Thats where this little guy came from. 12/08

Hey legend, was that you right off Higgins on Busse today? It looked like your type of shanty. And if it was you, have you ever gotten hassled for parking along the road there? Whoever it was I admire that they were out on that side of the lake. I have been thinking of parking in the fp lot and hiking out there, but thats a pretty good walk dragging a shanty.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
No, that wasnt me. Still at work. :cry: YOu can access the lake on the other side. When coming east of Higgins there is an entrance right before Arlington Heights Rd on your right that you can turn into Busse. Once you turn into Busse Forest Perserve take teh street all the way down until it dead ends and park on the left. Walk straight out to the open field where you will see a trail which will lead you to the NE of the lake. Left is the main lake and the right is area you are referrring to off of higgins when driving east on Higgins That cove on your right is deep 12-17fow and always hold fish Pike,Bass,gills, and crops.

Good luck bro!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that bay held a deep spot. :D Havent had the energy to go at it blind though. Unfortunately they havent opened that parking lot since the first snow of the winter. :(
But that info on the depth makes that walk from the far lot seem more reasonable now :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.