Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't sleep, so I dragged my butt out of bed and hit the Busse WWD to work out some fishing frustrations. I got there around 7-ish and stayed until 8:30 or so. It was supposed to be 24 degrees, but it really felt colder than the mercury would indicate...the wind was pretty rough. The water level was WAY up. The normal shoreline was probably 8 feet in from normal. Some of the trees on the south side were under water. It was definitely murkier than normal too.

First I tried two techniques that have panned out in the past at the WWD: slow-twitching 5-inch senkos, and bouncing in half of a String King Zero on a 1/16th oz mushroom jig head. After about 30 or 40 minutes of no-action, my hands were frozen and I was getting frustrated. I had brought a third "just in case" rig: my new Diawa Viento / Shimano Cumara pair that I just bought at the Tinley Park Fishing show. I had it rigged with a 1/8th oz screw-in bullet weight with a pretty realistic plastic crawfish from Yum. By that time my hands were frozen, so I pitched it to the grates, then worked it back one-handed with the "twitchin' bar" feature on the Diawa...really just so I could keep my one hand in my pocket. On the or fourth or fifth twitch, WAM. The bummer: right after I hooked him he got tangled in the submerged brush from the high water, so it wasn't much of a fight. It's still better than a sharp stick in the eye. That was all I managed to get this time out. Pic attached.

-bartmandude.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Nice one Bart.....

With all the run off and rain I thought the water would be way up thanks for the report.

I have had better luck from 11am to 2pm.... after the water warms up a bit :lol:

The AM bite just has not been as good this year....

P.S: I drove by the DPR and it was WAY over the banks today by Axe Head :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.