Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Ladies And Gents, Worked overnight 12-8a.m. Last night and fished today 3:30p.m. - 4:45p.m. WWD Busse Woods.

Upon Arriving at the hole (WWD) Trekking through some very tedious snow some areas due to the wind up to 3 1/2 feet deep. Out of breath I start to browse the "Puzzle" Trying to figure out which piece to put where. I stand on the Rails With my polarized glasses to try and see if any good sized fish where in the area, But nothing All Small 12" or less. Then about 20 minutes into the outing a Beautiful fish with out a question 4lbs moves in with a little smaller fish. I tie on a Grey with black Flake Straight tail 5" That I basically cut and shaped out of a 10" Regular worm with a razor. Casted in front of my target (which I'll name Larry). Larry Eyed it but swam away. Finesse fishing on the clean bottom I was, it was just impossible to catch this fish He'd be able to see ALL my imperfections of my presentation So I Decide after about a 5 minute debate with myself to Bump him scare him off towards my left where the rocks were. This way I can use the Rocks to my advantage hiding my imperfections in between the rocks and allowing Larry to see my presentation in a more realistic form. In doing so it took about 10 minutes for Larry to get comfortable again, and that's when i proceeded to catch him using my same presentation. I do get Larry to commit in my mind it looked like he fully committed I had the straight tail in between the rocks tail just wiggling in his face he turns downwards with fins erect assuming the "I'm going to Eat the hell out of you position" Strikes my straight tail And I set the hook, He starts to swim away And turns his head My hook barely hanging on the side of his upper lip Pulls right out. And there the screaming starts, A Really nice fish that I blew because i under estimated how much of my lure he had inhaled. After about a 5 minute curse fest I attempted to catch him again, But in no way was Larry having it Each attempt proved failure. So I then turn my attention to his "Friend" which given the circumstance of today Being Christmas eve I'll name Rudolph. Now Rudolph with his belly so white looked at my presentation and just wouldn't bite. So I cast again seeing his reaction towards his surroundings and my bait And choose to go to a soft plastic crank bait resembling a bluegill Which I purchased at Target here in Chicago. Now in the process of Catching Rudolph to my amazement We all Learn that Bass are ambush predators but how and in which they do so can be different as every bass has there own personality, And this bass Actually After 3 or 4 cast positioned himself each cast to better his chances at Striking my lure. First cast He started to follow my lure in, Second cast he starts to go behind under an old Sign that had fallen in. Third cast while each cast is being put in the same location each time I decide to go to a stop and go technique I bump the sign allow it to float up and well.. Lets just say Rudolph with his belly so white inhaled my crank bait and that began the fight :D

Neil Also Had a very good day catching Crappie on pan fish tubes to start the parade :D :D

My brother James accompanied us to Catching Bluegill on crank baits

Although I missed Larry, Rudolph was a treat on this very merry Christmas eve :D

Thanks for reading :mrgreen:

~Conditions~

Temperature: 18

Sky: Over Cast

Wind Range: Light ( 15-20MPH)

Wind Direction: WEST

Weather trends: TEMP DROPPING

Barometer: 29.95 Rising

Water temp: --

Water Color: Clear

Water Visibility: 3 Feet

Current Conditions: Moderate

Bottom Conditions: Rock / debris

* Georges Out Come*

Caught: 6

Lost: 1

Released: 6

Fish Health: healthy

*Equipment/Supplies*

Bait/Lure Presentation: Worm Rigged on jig head.

Rod Used: 7'0 St. Croix triumph

Reel used: pFlueger Presidential

Line used: 6lb VANISH TRANSITION

Lure/Hook: Storm Crankbait

Bait used: --

Beverage: RED BULL

Snack: ---

Repellant: ---

George

Chicago Illinois

[email protected]

Multi-Species Fishing obsession

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
"ARTIFICIALS ALL YOU NEED"

Ya start catching some of these types then i'm a believer

(p.s. these were all from the old wwd toury archives)

Good Luck!!

I just can't rember who that last guy was but he used to catch the biggest
WWD bass...anyone know his name????? :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
sorry to hear about Larry dudde! congrats on Rudolph tho. Its amazing how you can watch a bass's behavior and judge what to use and how to catch it by doing so. great article I must say. Thanks George!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was at the WWD last week and caught plenty of crappie and gills. I had a Northern Pike on that I snaged by the tale wich was a mistake because I never even saw the fish. He jumped up and got off. He did continue to swim around but never bit anything. I see that the weather is warming up for friday and sat but some rain. The plan for me is to get out and fish the WWD sat most likely. ANyone plan on heading out there. NIce job with the bass by the way. I see some walleyes swiming through there as well but never bite on. ARtifical curly tail really small worked the best for me with attaching a small wax worm ( magget) to the hook.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can definitely Grab bass the size of the first two in your pic. Basscaster on artificial at the wwd I Have before. But Augy's might be stretching it. WWD CHRISTMAS EVE ARTIFICIALS ALL YOU NEED. We didn't need to use live bait that day and had a successful outing, We all went home satisfied i missed a big bass But I also caught one. I can throw the same argument at you Reversed though, what size bass have you caught on artificial at the wwd? I've been there 4 times only and have been at least some what successful each time. Although I know you didn't deliberately Take a shot at me or my outing, In a way it's how I took it.

Again All in good fun! and I WILL Get a Nice bass on artificial from the wwd to display for you soon.

till then,

tight lines!

thanks for all the kind responses guys :mrgreen:

George

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.