Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea there were plenty of bass n a few that would have been great to entice to hit something but we couldnt unfortunately. there were also a few big walleyes. one at least 20 in but they didnt even look at the golden roaches :(

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Best way I find is to use a small hook 4# light line and a single weight 8 to 10 inches up the line ...let the minnow swim free as he can be with the light line and hook...or night crawlers
cast past the target bass and bring it back and drop it right on his nose before the gills get it....lol

Once we get a few stable days of weather they should be ready to feed :lol:

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
I've tried several minnow species as bait at the WWD and the best always seem to be the large fathead minnows. I too once thought roaches, shiners, etc. would draw more attention but the fatheads seem to get the most bites.

Keep your gear as light as possible and use polarized glasses to see. More often than not, even though you are using live bait, you'll be working for a "reaction bite". The fish just can't help themselves sometimes. And if they DO turn the feed bag on you'll be in for a good time!

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I HATE MINNNNEERRRRSSSS!! ARTIFICIAL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that's where it's at. Every time to the wwd i've caught them on artificial and my last trip has shown me lots more! I'm starting to undertsand the feeding habits of these wwd bass and it's starting to pay off.. You ever here of finesse crank baiting ? .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: IT WORKS FOR ME! These fish can be caught on artificial s and you wont get cold hands digging for live bait, Plus that money you throw away on minnows... Gets put towards friendly fishing wagers :D :D

Keep them coming!

George

8)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Catch a 3lb'er on artificals and i'll believe. But for now the WWD still holds a live bait pattern :lol:

Time will tell :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Man, just missed one today basscaster So close to and Was really upsetting. But I'm confident next time i'll get him. Not to many fish there though Havn't seen it that empty in awhile

George

:D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
George W said:
just missed one today

:D
Been there GEO.....weather is just to 'off' these days. The big boys will need to feed soon. Once we get a few calm days and the water level comes up a bit (maybe next week after the big melt off Saturday)...you will start to see 'lots' of big bass. 3 out of 10 will bite.....the "Active" bass(anyone that is moving around) are the prime targets :wink:

Good luck!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.