Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went sunday and man it was so damn crowded lol so many people trying to snag bass and this big 10lb carp that was swimming around there very slow action i saw one guy wading that pulled a good 4lb bass out right where salt creek comes into the wwd they also released 445 muskies in the south pool one of those pools hopefully they will survive and they will be eating like crazy to first time ever they did this btw only got 2 bass both were 12" on minnows got 1 hit on a nightcrawler but lost it saw 1 walleye but as i went to try and catch it some guy tryed snagging it and he scareed it away

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Root, did they actually release the muskies yet? They were talking about doing it last year, but I don't think that the DNR ever did release them yet. It's probably still a little early for them to release them yet with the ice cover.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is this serious? I would even take the boat to Busse for that. If they survived I would think that the pan fish and even the bass population would suffer, its not that big a lake really. But what do I know...I hope it works out well. Do you know what size they were?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i don't think that they have stocked it yet. i believe there is still a lot of debate whether or not they should stock ski's at busse. i could be wrong but i don't think they will. only because busse is such a prime walleye fishery that they don't want to risk losing it.

who knows, they may have already stocked it with ski's. but it's going to be a long long wait for it to be any good.

my $2.1437 cents. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I dont think they would stock them thru the ice, it would be cool but not sure if muskies would do well there. I here that the pike are pretty scarce and they dont do very well. Wouldnt it be great aside from the crowds of course, if busse was a good musky fishery?

·
Banned
655 Posts
The forage, the space, and the overall structure of the lake is there for them. Why not?

The main pool is like what? 300 something acres? Isn't the south pool also like 130?

A musky needs 1-3 acres for himself. Throw in a thousand fingerlings and we'll see how they do.

I haven't fished Busse in years, mainly because I have a much better time fishing all by myself 8-miles downstream in the creek, but doesn't the lake have stunted Panfish populations? Carp too?

·
Registered
702 Posts
bigrain said:
what's the sequence of the strength ?
MUSKIES > walleye >bass >bluegill ?
how about catfish?
don't forget my fav's the mighty northern pike!!! nobody likes catfish (to eat) do they? i had some catfish once with the skin left on and it put me off it permanently! i'm not sure about pecking order, but know that both muskie and pike are very agressive. walleye are too, but for some reason i seem to recall they didn't feed on bass much ... but i also rarely target them so i am not sure of their patterns....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Andrew_R said:
The forage, the space, and the overall structure of the lake is there for them. Why not?

The main pool is like what? 300 something acres? Isn't the south pool also like 130?

A musky needs 1-3 acres for himself. Throw in a thousand fingerlings and we'll see how they do.

I haven't fished Busse in years, mainly because I have a much better time fishing all by myself 8-miles downstream in the creek, but doesn't the lake have stunted Panfish populations? Carp too?
Anglers that hate the carp and sucker (there were so many of them spawning by the WWD that I thought they were rocks at first!) populations in the lake should probably cheer the move. Carp fry are like double bacon cheeseburgers for these beasts from what I've been told. I'm still relatively new to bass/pike/walleye fishing, but have been catting it my entire life. I'd love to see some flatheads in there and there are plenty of panfish for them to feed on. A guy can dream can't he? It would be nice to catch a couple of gills by the WWD and walk over to the dam. I'm tired of driving a couple hours to try to catch Mr. Ugly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.