Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well decided to give it a shot for a hour or so lots of bass around in schools but for some reason didnt get any :? my dad had a few monsters but didnt set the hook in time did manage to get gills and i also got some pics of just the wwd right be4 the snow started coming down pretty good also if u guys believe me about this but i honestly think i saw a big ass school of walleye right outside the wwd right by the mouth of it like a school of 7 or 8 decent size but they could of been some carp

you can see the difference kinda the first one was be4 the snow of the others is when it was snowing

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
you gave it a shot! better than staying home.

i find fishing the wwd an educational experience. you learn so much by watching the interaction between the fish and your bait offerings and their behaviors.

get em next time.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I think those other fish you saw were suckers. I saw a few that stuck near the discharge even when the largemouth swam away.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think I saw a similar school a few weeks ago. They were in the current where the creek and discharge meet. 15 or more of them all grouped up about a foot apart and each about 15+ inches. I thought I saw yellow bodies with a black line (bass) but didnt have glasses. They were skittish and ran if I casted right next to them.

·
Banned
655 Posts
svslider said:
I think I saw a similar school a few weeks ago. They were in the current where the creek and discharge meet. 15 or more of them all grouped up about a foot apart and each about 15+ inches. I thought I saw yellow bodies with a black line (bass) but didnt have glasses. They were skittish and ran if I casted right next to them.
Those were most likely White Suckers, although they will rarely reach larger than 12-inches from this waterway. There are other sucker species present throughout but they're much smaller specimens.

I also have a hunch that this school could have been Gizzard Shad, as they get HUGE in here, and get spooked very easily. Warm water, schooling, winter, it makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.