Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out at 9:30 a.m. on Friday January 23rd. I was using a rattlin' Rapala. There were large fish busting shad when I got there. I casted for a half an hour before I got my first hit and it was a large fish. My drag was not set tight enough so when I tried to set the hook the fish was able to pull some slack and it got off. I tightened my drag and continued to cast in the same area and 20 minutes later i pulled in a 28 inch musky to my shock. I did fish for about another hour or so and had one more good hit but was unable to bring in the fish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
sfitch said:
Yeah they were only stocked in there last year so they aren't very big yet, but thanks for the back handed compliment.
Not calling you a liar, but...do you have pics? I'd love to see it, I've only caught one musky from Mallard Lake, when they were stocked 2-3 years ago, and it was only ~20", if that.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I hate to bust your bubble, but I have a strong suspicion that it was most likely a northern. I have seen them there many times in the past. The muskies that were stocked there a year ago are maybe only half that big at most by now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the Pic on my cell phone and I'm trying to figure out how to post it. It definitely was a musky though. I do know the difference. The fish had dark vertical bars going down on a light background. I've caught both musky and pike in the past and I definitely know the difference. And don't worry but my bubble is not bursted. In fact I assumed it was a norther too thats why i was so surprised.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks for the report. I wouldn't doubt if it was a Ski, I heard of a few being kept in the fall around 20"s :(

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nice job dude Welcome to the site. It's nice to see quality fish coming out of there. BTW Andrew chiming in on the WWD intresting....LOL Just giving you shit Andrew. If anybody would know a Muskie it would be you

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.