Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, but I had to do it.

Just picked up a nice little combo from BPS today, got a $90 reel and and an $80 rod for $100. So, I headed out for a bit and finally practiced on a decent baitcaster, instead of a cheapo $30 baitcaster from K-Mart. :)

I'm normally right-handed. It's a right-hand retrieve, so what I was doing at first was casting with my right arm, then switching to the left, so I could retrieve. Casting buzzbaits, that doesn't work so well, that extra second causes the bait to sink more than I like.

So I switched and started casting left-handed. Much better. Then I noticed that I was only casting sidearm, whether it be from left to right, or right to left. I, for the life of me, couldn't get a good cast overhand, whether I cast it lefty or righty. I was getting good distance and fairly accurate after an hour or so, I didn't even get too many nests.

I guess my question is this; is it just a matter of practice or is overhand casting a baitcaster impossible?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Steve, it will take a while for you to become proficient with the baitcaster. Once you do you will most likely prefer it to spinning tackle for casting those heavier lures.

To answer your question, I cast right handed and use a right-hand retrieve baitcaster. Yes, it does take a split second extra but that doesn't seem to matter for me. If sidearm casting is easier for you then do it that way, but start trying to cast overhand because you will be able to get more distance with it. Just keep practicing with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Yep, its just practice and also getting the reel brake set up the way you like. You have to dial it in, and it takes awhile. The fact that you had some success with it the first time out bodes well. My first couple times were loaded with backlashes and curse words. Once you figure it out though, you will love it. Unlike some of the other guys though, I am still preferential to the spinning gear unless I am after pike or musky. You just have to find your rhythm and it will be second nature to you in no time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Al. Toothdoc, I have already noticed that the Rattle-Traps I was casting yesterday were flying. And those were being tossed sidearm. Matt, I'm not quite sure yet as to which I prefer. I still need more time with the baitcaster to decide.

I actually cracked open the "instructions" for the reel yesterday and it gave me the best advice yet on setting up the reel.

When adjusting the reel brake, (not the magnetic or centrifugal brake), have it a slow and steady drop, and when it hits the ground, you don't want the reel to make more than 1 or 2 extra revolutions.

After setting it up that way, I was backlash free. Well, pretty much. :oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
A friend of mine suggested two other "beginner's tips", in addition to making the tension adjustment - spool it with some slightly heavier line and also only fill the spool about halfway until you start to get the hang of it.

And yes, in case you were wondering, the spool on mine is still half full of heavy line... :oops:

553 Posts
When I first got my baitcaster I had no clue what to do with it. Than after doing some homework I got pretty good at it. Than after finding out how to properly set the spool tension knob, it was like a whole new experience. Now I love baitcasters and I would never go back. Good Luck. :wink: :D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
LukePisces said:
Than after finding out how to properly set the spool tension knob, it was like a whole new experience. :wink: :D
How true .....Once you get this figured out it's a cake walk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've been trying mine for the last few weeks..... and have just about killed myself and anyone standing next to me. So, I'm not to crazy about the baitcaster right now. Guess maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.